How to deal with email verification as a website operator?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by beethoven, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Running a website that automatically sends confirmation emails to clients registering on our site to confirm their details (registration and/or order), I am encountering more and more emails generated by client programs requiring me to follow a procedure to be authorised (ie proving that my email is not spam).

I am interested on opions on the following

1. Usually these computer generated authorisation requests ask you to click on a link to validate your email address, sometimes on the resulting webpage you also have to add a captcha code.
    How safe is this procedure for me? At present I am trying to determine if I can see that the request comes from someone that we actually contacted. However this is time consuming. I am also afraid that I expose my pc to phishing dangers and don't like to click on links in incoming emails.

2. Today's validation by "spam arrest" even expected me to accept some privacy policy that they have set up and agreeing to pay $ 2,000 if such and such is happening. In addition I am expected to be accepting overseas laws and be governed by such.
    Personally I find this totally unacceptable but I am interested to hear from the community.

I would also appreciate suggestions by website operators how they deal with this issue from a technical point of view and a commercial aspect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.