How to create standalone install package?

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by elang, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elang

elang Registered Member

I want to create a custom install package that can be used by remote users. I did this in 2.7, but can't figure out how to do it in 3.0.x. These remote users will have no access to the Remote admin server, other than connecting to report status, events, etc.

I need the package to apply my settings xml file, which password protects all of the settings and includes the update user ID & password, which I don't want to hand out to our employees.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

2. BFG

BFG Registered Member

3. PRJUS

PRJUS Guest

Be aware that the ADMINCFG parameter on the MSI-file doesn't work but if you name your configuration file cfg.xml and place it in the same folder as the MSI-file itself it will work perfectly.

4. elang

elang Registered Member

Thanks - apparently I had an older version of the manual that didn't include some of that detail.

5. Proactive Services

Proactive Services Registered Member

Ahh this answers a question I posted in the reseller forum:

I'm using a self-extracting zip file to copy the EAV 3.0.642 installation files to %temp%\eavbe_nt32_enu and run setup.bat, which I created in the directory, which calls:

Code:

eavbe_nt32_enu\eavbe_nt32_enu.msi /qb! REBOOTPROMPT=" " ADMINCFG="%temp%\eavbe_nt32_enu\nod32.xml"

Setup.bat runs and installs EAV but it seems to ignore the XML file. I had tried nod32.xml and eavbe_nt32_enu\nod32.xml as the ADMINCFG parameter but neither of them work. The path to the XML file is definitely correct - if I copy and paste it from setup.bat it opens as expected. Tried a reboot after installation and still can't see the options I've set.

The XML file has been created by the Eset Configuration Editor 2.00.058 (212). I've opened it to check the contents and they look fine, for example the SMTP notifications are set there but do not appear in the installed EAV's configuration tree.

Using Sysinternals' Filemon I can see msiexec.exe trying to open:
    Code:

C:\WINNT\system32\ C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\eavbe_nt32_enu\nod32.xml

I've tried copying the XML file to system32 and retrying but due to the whitespace it is still an invalid path. Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug in the installer? I assume it can be worked around otherwise there would be a lot of noise as others wouldn't be able to install with a custom config file!

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@Proactive Services

I am having some problems ,too . It seems there are some bugs in the ESET Configuration edition even in the last version .

As a beginning , try with this:
    1) Full path to the MSI installer
    2) Use ADMINCFG as a first command
    3) Use no variables (it wants full path and it seems it doesn't accept short ways nor variables)

Example:
    C:\ESET\eavbe_nt32_enu.msi ADMINCFG="C:\Windows\temp\eavbe_nt32_enu\nod32.xml"/qb!

Again make sure you use the very latest ERAC 2.0.56

7. PRJUS

PRJUS Guest

In my experience (and I have tested it) the ADMINCFG property has no effect at all.

You have to place the XML-file together with the MSI-file and name it cfg.xml. Then and only then the configuration will be picked up by the MSI-file.

Run the installation with something like:

MSIEXEC /I "\\SERVER\NOD32$\3.0.642\eavbe_nt32_enu.msi" REBOOT="ReallySuppress" /qb-!

/Preben

8. Megachip

Megachip Registered Member

Why is his bug still not fixed? Have 2.0.110 and actual documentation, but ADMINCFG doesn't work :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.