How to Create images on DVD properly!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by scorpion, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scorpion

scorpion Registered Member

1. You will need a Partition program, I chose Partition magic 8. Use whatever program you choose to create a Partition on your H.D. I made mine H Drive.

2. Use Acronis True Image to create an Image of your H.D onto the Partition you just made in step 1, unless you have Dual layer disks you must split your files to 4GB

3. If you have Nero, open it up and point it to Data then to MAKE UDF DVD

4. Insert a Blank DVD-R (no need to piss around with the DVD, i.e format ect..) Burn your first 4GB image onto the DVD, this is very important or you will be using this DVD as a coaster- SET YOUR RECORDING SPEED TO 4X ONLY!!!!

5. Continue on with the rest of the images, I had 4 four GB images therefore I used 4 DVD's, this process will save you pulling your hair out via having to format the DVD via Acronis True image supporting software like Roxio or Pinnacle.

6. That is it your done!!! your H.D has been imaged using DVD's.

-The disks that you've just backed up will read image archive is corrupted when you explore image from within windows,(Acronis) IGNORE THIS. The DVD's are fine. See https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=68816

-DVD's will only work with the Acronis Boot CD and this is IMPORTANT, INSERT THE LAST DVD (Volume 3 or in my case 4) after booting into Acronis, whalla, RESTORE your H.D. Again when you copy them into a UDF software like nero, MAKE SURE you set the write speed 4X or below!!!

I Just did mine and everything worked excellent, THANK YOU ACRONIS for giving a peace of mind that if my H.D should fail, I can rely on this back up in the future!!!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  2. howie123

howie123 Registered Member

I've always burned my DVD images this way. There's no need to format beforehand or even have any packet-writing software installed (InCD, DirectCD, etc.). I personally prefer to burn them to a different physical drive because if you burn them to a single drive (or second partition on the same), you'll lose your image(s) if that drive should fail. I also wouldn't trust keeping images exclusively on DVD or CD media and just use these as a backup to my HDD images.

3. dymfg

dymfg Registered Member

Is there a way in Roxio Easy Media Center 7 Basic to write in UDF format to DVD-R or DVD+r like you guys have suggested using Nero o_O
    And it looks to me that this is a better way to write to DVD's than Acronis suggests in their FAQ or maybe not better but easier and faster,no formatting required, so why does'nt Acronis suggest this method

Thanks in advance

4. scorpion

scorpion Registered Member

DYMFG

Regarding ROXIO

How do I use the UDF Reader?

Applicable Operating Systems:
    Windows 95
    Windows 98 / 98 SE
    Windows ME
    Windows NT 4 Workstation
    Windows 2000 Professional
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Windows XP Professional

Issue:
    How do I use the UDF Reader?

Solution:
    The UDF Reader (also called the DirectCD Reader or UDF Volume Reader) enables MultiRead CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drives to read DirectCD (UDF) formatted CD-RW discs.

To install the UDF Reader on another computer system you will need to download it from:
    http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/software_updatesv4.jhtml

Once you have downloaded and installed the UDF Reader, reboot your computer for the installation to complete. Once installed the UDF Reader will be activated automatically and you do not need to take further action.

The update is for Easy Media Creator 5 and below if you have 6 & 7, use Roxio Drag To Disc

Re: "And it looks to me that this is a better way to write to DVD's than Acronis suggests in their FAQ or maybe not better but easier and faster,no formatting required, so why does'nt Acronis suggest this method"

Acronis did in fact suggest this method on this forum and at the bottom of this pagehttp://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#20

Just not in detail form.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.