How to create bootable rescue DVD(s):

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wdormann, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vareniky

vareniky Guest

Actually followed Menorcaman's Ultraiso suggestions and I kept on getting image corrupted message everytime I proceeded with image restoration from DVD/RW.
    All other previous steps checked ok and booted ok, even image file integrity passed with however when restore action was prompted I kept on getting in one way or another image corrupted message.
    Wonder if this is an memory problem? Any suggestions? please
    thank you

2. iluvTI

iluvTI Guest

so umm.. is there an official way to create a bootable rescue dvd? i tink not, maybe unless we're waiting for TI9

3. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

vareniky:
    Does the MD5sum of the image on the DVD match that of the image you initially created on the hard drive?

4. vareniky

vareniky Registered Member

Honestly I did not feel like having to check with a third party software for MD5sums though I must admit could have been helpful in hindsight as I have a number of excellent utilities to do that Accuhash, CDcheck among others.
    However, I did check with Acronis CheckImage.exe standalone and the image was reported as ok everytime I checked it as I mounted the iso before burning and again checked after burning.
    Should I have not trusted CheckImage.exe reportings?
    What are your thoughts? Thanks

5. wdormann

I would have tried an MD5sum utility, just for testing purposes. That's just standard troubleshooting procedure, though. First make sure that you can successfully write a large file to your drive. Only then start to get into the Acronis software. (If the first step fails, there's no point in proceeding any further)

6. vareniky

I agree though I write large files all the time and verfy them as per routine so I wasn't suspecting the Acronis checkimage utility will let me down
    next time I'll try md5 hashes and see if they match
    thanks for now

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello iluvTI,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We regret to inform you that current version of Acronis True Image doesn't support DVDs as Acronis Bootable Media. We are working on this feature and expect it to be implemented in future versions.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi vareniky,

By large file wdormann means files in excess of 1GB.

Recording large data files to optical media can be problematical, particularly towards the outer edge (max capacity) of the disk. Unlike audio and video files, a single error in the data file will render the file unusable.

If not already done, create an image onto your hard drive, splitting it manually at 1480MB and then generate a MD5 (or similar) checksum(s) for the image.

Using your DVD recording software, burn up to 3 of the .tib files to a DVD +/-RW as a normal compilation. Don't use drag-and-drop and burn at about 2x/2.4x speed.

Generate another checksum(s) from the .tib files on the DVD and compare it/them with checksum(s) created from the split image on the hard drive. If they match then, provided you keep to the same make of DVD media and select the same write speed as for the test, you should have no problem creating a functional bootable rescue DVD. However, if they don't match then you have a hardware problem that needs to be investigated.

Regards

9. vareniky

My compressed tib files are about 1.4gib and tend to burn just one for the sake of the excercise.
    Now I wonder if you say burning large images is problematic what about splitting tib in smaller files on the HDD, check them for md5 and then burn onto a DVD/RW at 2x?
    That will get rid of the file size problem but then again they have to join up.

I do use drag and drop feature with Ultraiso I don't see how one can insert an image file into a bootable image.
    But I do mount the iso before burning to check the image for CRC with acronis checkimage utility

Although I may not discard there may be a hardware problem
    But how should I start? That's the hardest part.

10. wdormann

Simple. Find a large amount of data. Over 2GB if possible. If you're an Acronis TrueImage user, as I suspect you are, your TIB files are a good start.

Get the MD5 of the files before attempting to burn them to DVD, using a utility such as md5summer. Now burn those files to DVD. Finally, compute the MD5 of the files on the DVD.

If the MD5 of a file on the DVD doesn't match the MD5 of the equivalent file on your hard drive, then you've got burning problems, such as bad media, bad burner, etc.

11. vareniky

I think I ought to balme incompatible media as I have burned a DVD+R Sony at 4x and did asll checks with Accuhash reslting in perfect burn all hashes correct for file and bootable DVD even Acronis checkimage ut was spot on
    Have not attempted to use this DVD yet but looks perfect.

Will try it soon for the sake of testing the darn thing once for all

Oh! BTW I don't think burning on DVD/RW is a good idea rw never been a reliable type of media anyway

12. wdormann

Don't tell that to my FujiFilm (Ricoh Japan) DVD+RW discs that I've overwritten dozens of times without error! :)

Perhaps you could check out this list to find out what media works well with your hardware.

13. vareniky

Yep thanks I am a subscriber already
    Restored no problems at all

14. BrentYen

BrentYen Guest

Hi all:
    I had a question about TI's bootCD.
    Does TI use some kind of general driver for externel devices such as 1394 DVD burner, SCSI drives and USB HDD.
    Or It will use the drivers in the system with which u made the BootCD.

Best

15. wdormann

The rescue CD is a self-contained linux distribution. The drivers used by the CD are linux drivers, and have nothing to do with whatever platform is used to create the CD.

16. sunracer

sunracer Registered Member

thank you to WDORMANN for putting this together!

I followed the instructions and everything seemed to go alright. However, when I boot from the DVD and start the recovery Acronis cannot restore the partition. It finds the C:\ drive but then searches for lost partitions, finds none and exits.

I made the DVD on one machine and I used standard TI to image the only drive (C:) in a laptop. I copied the 650MB tib files to the DVD per instructions.

I fI boot the laptop from my standard TI disk and attach an external USB harddrive with the 650MB tib files I'm able to restore just like on all of my other systems. The restore doesn't seem to work the same from the TI recovery disk however.

Is there something I'm missing?

S

17. wdormann

That's a little strange... I can't say I've ever seen the ATI software from the bootable rescue media just "exit." Where does it "exit" to? The main menu? The Linux command prompt? Reboots the PC?

What happens when you boot with your custom bootable DVD and also have the USB drive plugged in? Can you restore from the USB drive?

If no, then perhaps something failed with the creation of the bootable DVD.

Also try booting with the official resuce CD and see if you can access the files on your DVD. If you can't, then make sure that you can see the files from within Windows, via Windows Explorer. All the TIB files should be visible, and you should be able to mount the backup images as a drive letter.

If none of the above steps let you restore from your DVD using some form of the bootable rescue media, then it's possible that there's something goofy with the bootable ATI CD drivers in that it cannot properly read files from your DVD drive. If this is the case, then perhaps you could try making a "safe" version of the rescue CD/DVD. In some cases with "odd" hardware configurations, this can allow the rescue media to function properly.

18. dick471

dick471 Registered Member

Menorcaman: Please explain a little more detail making bootable rescue DVD's using UltraISO where it spans two or more DVD's. Do I need to add the Bif\TIbid826.bif file and the Recovery Manager in these additional .ios's?

The method worked perfect for three of my systems where the TI image fit onto one DVD; but I'm lost on one system that will span three DVD's.

Thanks for any help

19. Menorcaman

Hi Dick471,

Only the first DVD needs to contain the boot information and Acronis Recovery Manager info. The subsequent disks need only to contain any remaining Acronis .tib files, which are burnt as normal DVD compilations. Make sure you number the disks as they are created because, after booting from the first DVD, when carrying out an actual restore, you will need to insert the last disk first and then follow the TI Restore Image Wizard's prompts for subsequent disk changes.

Please feel free to come back with further questions if need be.

Regards

20. dick471

dick471 Registered Member

Menorcaman: Thanks very much. I wouldn't of thought to insert the last disk first after starting the program from the first DVD. Luckly the system I'm talking about only requires 2 1/2 DVD's. Even at my age I can still count to three---I hope! Thanks again_ I love True Image over Ghost or Drive Image.
    PS: TI works perfectly on SCSI drives, which is all I run on each system.

21. MECO25

MECO25 Guest

I would like to thanks Mr. WDORMANN, you really help alot...whew im just a new user of acronis , and im having touble in making a DVD bootable together with my back-up.:) it really helps alot....Your a Genius! you helped not only me but those who have same problem. Ur a gifted-minded guy.....God Bless WDORMANN...

Meco25
    migs@engineer.com

22. Faldo

Faldo Registered Member

Yeah, i also wanna thank WDORMANN for this "bypass".

I'd like to add that it's sad that when you call or e-mail Acronis and ask about this, they ensure you that you can create a bootable rescue DVD/DVDs from within TrueImage itself (but you need a special burner program).
    I must have asked the same question in 5 different ways just to be sure they understood my question.
    If this forum thread exist and there is no other way of achieving what this thread has to offer, then they shouldn't tell ppl that -"It's possible to make bootable rescue DVDs with True Image".

23. 19baby

19baby Registered Member

I have created a bootable dvd via the UltraISO method,
    the disc is bootable, however, when i got into the Ture Image GUI, and try to select the .tib files from the dvd, it came up with a message saying
    " This is not the last created volume of the image archive. Please insert the last created volume to start working with this archive"

can someone please help me the slove this problem?
    thanks

ps, i have burn the .tib in order (ie 1,2,3,4,5etc)

24. Menorcaman

Hello 19baby,

After booting into TI from the first DVD you will need to remove it and insert the last DVD. After that, follow TI prompts for subsequent disk changes.

If that didn't work then please provide answers to the following:

1. When you initially created the image to your hard drive, what manual split size did you choose?
    2. How many .tib files did the image create?
    3. How many DVDs did you use in total?
    4. Did you remember to number each DVD?

Regards

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  25. Christian

Christian Guest

Hi,

if I create a bootable DVD with the image included, will I be able to restore a system, if I boot the DVD from an external USB-DVD-Drive?

I have several PCs which need the image and I only have one USB-port available at these PCs. On this USB-Port, the DVD-Drive is connected.

Thanks,
    Christian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.