How to create a bootable CD oe DVD that map a IBM NAS DS300

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Massimo, Mar 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Massimo

Massimo Guest

Sorry for my bad English.
    I make the images of W2003 Server on NAS System IBM DS300.
    This System is configured on W2003 Server with SW "Microsoft ISCSI Initiator" and connected on lan with RJ cable directly to Ethernet Switch.
    Is possible to create a booteble CD or DVD that, in case of rescue, direct access to images stored to NAS system.

Tanks!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Massimo,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

When you boot from Acronis Bootable CD you will be able to access shared folders on the network providing you know the account details (user name and password) to get to these folders. It is the only way you may use network to create or restore images.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

Ilya,

This NAS is not accessible from the network using SMB, Massimo is using iSCSI.

To be able to "see" a iSCSI target like their NAS over the network, the Acronis Rescue disk should be having some kind of iSCSI initiator implementation (a "virtual" scsi card accessing SCSI drives over ethernet)

4. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Hi Massimo,

As Tonio writes, the Acronis Rescue CD would need to include drivers for iSCSI if you want to access the NAS directly. I don't know if iSCSI is supported, but I think it is unlikely.

A possible work-around would be to have some other server (with access to the NAS) share the folder with the backup images for the duration of the rescure/restore operation. That way, the Acronis Rescue CD can use its normal Ethernet drivers to reach the backup images.

5. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

I wouldn't bet on Acronis implementing iSCSI soon - it's kind of a niche market right now, and I wonder if there would be 5 customers actually using it.

I would like it though, iSCSI is a wonderful and exciting technology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.