How to configure the firewall for game servers ONLY on LAN

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Mack27, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mack27

Mack27 Registered Member

Okay, i got two systems running Windows XP SP3, ESET Smart Security 3.0 Business Edition. I have both systems on a Linksys router connected to a Cable modem which is besides the point. Anyhow, i want to setup either system to see each other through lan games, i.e. Call of duty, Call of Duty World at war, Far cry 2. So far i just disable ESET Firewall to get them to see each other. I'm using Automatic Mode on both systems, and pretty much got most of the security checked except the Runtime Packers and Advance Heuristics in the Real-Time file system protection setup. I have set on both systems the Strict Protection setting in the Trusted Zone. I also have on both systems unchecked the allowed services as well. I can only ping from either system only if the Allow Sharing is selected instead of Strict Protection. Even when i have the ESET Firewall disabled i'm still not able to see either system in Far Cry 2. I just need someone to send me in the right direction, and possible ports for either games, thank you.

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Have you tried setting the firewalls on both systems to Interactive Mode to allow ESET Personal Firewall to prompt you to create rules for the connection?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. Mack27

Mack27 Registered Member

No, i haven't used the Interactive Mode, since i thought having it on Automotic Mode would do the trick. We don't have anything sharing as far as Harddrives, printers or anything goes since i like to keep it that way. All i want to do is to get the two systems to see each other in the Multiplayer servers which is only possible if i disable the firewall, strange....

4. agoretsky

Hello,

When the firewall is running in Interactive Mode, you will be prompted to create a rule when a network connection occurs for which no rule exists.

I would suggest that you temporarily enable Interactive Mode, run the game(s) you wish to play on each computer to create rules, and then switch back to Automatic Mode after rules have been created.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

Aryeh, in an earlier post Marcos stated
    Others have stated AND I took his method to mean "Automatic does Not recognize Manually Created Rules" yet you imply by this "solution" that it Does. Are both of you right?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  6. agoretsky

Hello,

It depends on what the end user is trying to accomplish. In this case, I think this is a solution to what was asked, but there sometimes are several different ways of doing things. If I did not understand the question correctly or my reply did not help then I am certain I will soon find out. :)

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.