How to configure firewall for network?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bigdaddyII, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdaddyII

bigdaddyII Registered Member

Hello all. I have a problem that is not all that important but is irritating when it arises. I am running Zone Alarm firewall on both my desktop (XP Pro) and my laptop (XP home). I have a network at my home, Belkin Router (WPA Protected), and use Network Magic to manage it if that matters. The problem I have is that when I do want to print or share files, I have to disable ZA on both computers for this to happen. I have heard there is way to configure ZA to trust your network but I havent found out how by just playing with ZA. The printer is connected to the Desktop, the desktop is hardwired to the router, and my laptop is wireless. Could anyone point out the (no doubt) obvious to me, and tell me how to configure ZA to trust my network? Thanks in advance.

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Going from memory, you need to add the "local" IP to the trusted zone. I think the setting is under the "firewall" tab\"zones". It will probably be something like 192.168.XXX.XXX Hope this helps. Can not get to the 2 PCs I run ZA on to check for sure.

3. bigdaddyII

Okay, I see what you are talking about. I have a different IP address for my laptop, desktop and router. Do I need to trust my router IP and desktop IP on my laptop and my router IP and laptop IP on my desktop? Right now I am trusting my router IP and it is still not working. ON EDIT
    Thats what I just did and it works fine, thanks. This is the right way isnt it?

4. ThunderZ

It is the only way I know. You should be quit safe trusting both, of course depending on how you have your router set up. WPA for your wireless, changed the default password and added a strong password. I am sure someone will jump in and add\correct any mis-information I may have given you. :D

5. bigdaddyII

Thanks for the help. I did change the default password on the router (WPA), and Network Magic lets me hide the SSID as well.

6. ThunderZ

As long as you have a good strong WPA key and your router password is not in the dictionary you are about as safe as you are going to be. Hiding the SSID is of questionable value. If you ever decide to add\share the wireless connection then adding a PC will be a bit harder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.