How to compile Linux kernel - Tutorial

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

If you're feeling geeky and have nothing better to do, then you may want to read this tutorial showing the basics of Linux kernel compilation, including downloading sources and build tools, make menuconfig, and installing the new kernel image. Not advisable for home users, but do take a look anyway.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-kernel-compilation.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Mrk,

Nice summary!

With menuconfig, I found it necessary to uncheck debugging as it added too much size to the image generated. I also found out (I have 4GB RAM), that it is necessary to use the BIGMEM option for 64GB, as the 4GB or less option is a lie.

My purpose in compiling the Linux kernel was to see if I could exploit the PAE bit on my motherboard (when I was using Ubuntu 9.10). Unfortunately, I found out that my BIOS was not up to the task as it did not hoist the RAM between 3-4GB which is reserved. I have a later motherboard (now obsolete), but have yet to purchase more RAM to get to its 8GB limit. It does have a more recent BIOS that will be able to take advantage of the Intell VT-x capabilities in hardware which is what my current MB/BIOS cannot do.

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.