How to command a shutdown after backup?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jim Johnson, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Registered Member

I am testing the free trial version of Acronis 9.0 and am very impressed thus far. It beats the sheet off of Norton Ghost. My question; Is there a way to command a computer shutdown after a time-set backup? Can I be directed to "non-computer geek" instructions? Plan to buy Acronis 9.0 if it keeps performing as it has so far. Thanks!

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

ATI9 allows the user to set pre- and post-commands. (ATI Tools > Options > Default Backup Options > Pre/Post Commands). So, theoretically you could run shutdown.exe as a post-command.

However, there are numerous reports of shutdown.exe being less than an elegant way to turn the PC off with many users reporting undesired and unexpected behaviour. You may therefore want to try something a little more elegant like PowerOff. As with all Freeware you need to exercise some caution, however PowerOff has received many rave reviews with Editors giving it a 5-star rating. Take a look at the product here and see if it meets your requirements

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/PowerOff.shtml

And..... could you please get back to the Forum with your feedback. Tks :D

3. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Registered Member

This is the requested feedback on the softpedia.com freeware. I found the freeware works just fine in the scheduled shutdown mode. I simply estimated the time for a couple of backup programs, spyware scan, and virus scan to run, and scheduled a shutdown. Had some trouble understanding how to program that, but once correctly setup, it works fine. I have setup a daily shutdown at 1:00 AM, after the desired programs have finished running. However, I have not been able to get the freeware to operate in the shutdown mode after a specified program runs. It shuts down the computer as the specified program starts, rather than when it ends. Not a big problem for me, since I am using the freeware successfully in the scheduled mode. I recommend the freeware.

4. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback Jim.

Is it possible to do the following:-

1. Setup a post-command in ATI to run PowerOFF

2. Setup PowerOFF to switch off the PC within say 5 minutes of activation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.