How to combat idiots altering settings on your PC

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by mezza, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mezza

mezza Registered Member

Guys,

I have a problem that I would like to get sorted out asap. Can anyone advise on the following?

I have 2 PCs set up that are installed for the general public to use but everytime we return to them, the desktop images have been changed to show some sort of xxx or obscene images.

Can anyone advise how to disable the facility to change the desktop or screensaver? Is there something that can be disabled from the regedit files?

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Mez

2. Ragzarok

Ragzarok Registered Member

Returnil.

3. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Also make sure the users are running in a LUA (I'm sure that's the case already but...).

5. Empath

Empath Registered Member

Unless the users have a need to save files on the computer, which doesn't seem likely for public access, the advice to use Returnil or something similar is sound. With Returnal running, everything that has changed during a session is lost on the next reboot.

Different users could alter settings all day long, one after the other. When it's all over, or one of the users can no longer use it because of some silly change someone else has made, reboot. It comes back up the way it was before anyone changed anything.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Returnil and don't forget to use a password. There are alternatives, but you have to pay for it.
    I use an alternative, but more as a protection against MYSELF, because I'm one of these idiots in the title of your thread. :)

7. HAN

HAN Registered Member

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

DeepFreeze from Faronics: It's probably one of the best for this kind of job, and reasonably priced.

http://www.faronics.com/

If you try the program, make sure to read the basics first.

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    As suggested, Group Policies, the most powerful built-in tool in XP Pro. You can lock the desktp, but also so much more - prevent installs, prevent applications form running, disable control panel, internet options in IE, prevent autorunning of removable drives, disable cd-rom, etc.
    Mrk

11. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

12. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

:thumb: Gpedit.msc without a doubt is the way to go. No additional software, little\to no chance of conflicts and free\built in. Have been playing with it quit a bit on my resource deprived lap top to increase security. No additional services required and no additional drivers to load so no slow downs. In fact in some cases you may experience a slight speed increase depending on what you disable\prevent.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I was about to support Eric's advice but also the others are on equal terms too for what you need.

I would love to suggest Power Shadow to you, since that's the one i use (depending on FD snapshot), and it covers ALL partitions and also with a password. No matter what someone else does to your settings, PS would always return the system back to square one again, but i can't recommend it although if you could still find it, it's a viable alternative.

14. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Hmm, I really have to look into this Returnil product. I've been out of the game for quite some time with new stuff but this might be cool. I guess its some type of IDS?

On topic, group policy or Deep Freeze would be my suggestion as well.

15. silat

silat Registered Member

Easter where do you see the password setting in PS?

Thanks

16. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Gpedit.msc does not prevent users from changing a wallpaper using 3-rd party software or does it?

17. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Sure it can.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.