How to 'close' Avira Classic

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Stijnson, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

I installed Avira Classic as an on-demand scanner (disabling the installation of the Guard module). Scan showed up clean. Now I want to close the app but I can't seem to find out how. The 'umbrella' icon is permanently present in the right-hand corner. How can I close this down? Surely there must be another way than stopping the process in Task Manager?

2. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

Terminate "avgnt.exe".

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Terminating avgnt.exe will only shut down the tray button. Guard protects itself from shutdown. You cannot terminate it from Task Manager. Further, you did not disable the installation of Guard. That is not possible.

4. Stijnson

I unchecked the Guard box on setup, so I assume it wasn't installed. I currently have one running process linked to Avira and that is 'avgnt.exe'.
    There isn't an option in the program that shuts it down upon closing it?
    Then it would be probably best not to install it next to another (resident running) AV?

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Right clicking on the unbrella icon in the system tray does not show a checkmark next to "AntiVir Guard Enable" ?

6. Stijnson

Nope, only start AntiVir, Online Help and Configure AntiVir. Like I mentioned above, I unchecked the installation of Guard during setup. Perhaps that's why I don't see it when right-clicking on the icon.

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I think you have a messed up installation and that is why you can't close it. It is not possible to choose to not install Guard. Maybe you can uncheck the box but Guard would install anyway. At least that is how it is supposed to work. I have read comments from Avira techs in the Avira forum saying you cannot choose to not install Guard so I am puzzled as it appears you were able to not install it if the processes are not running in Task Manager but that is strange as supposedly you have to have Guard installed. The Help file says that also.

You should also have "start update" and "Help" on right click on tray icon.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Go to the Start Menu, Run, and run "msconfig" if you're in Xp. Then disable it in the startup section and it won't load at boot anymore, and your tray icon will be gone also. You can still right click on files and scan, or start it up via the desktop icon if you want.

9. The_1337

The_1337 Registered Member

they'll still be avira processes, so if you want to disable all of it, stop the services when you're not using it, and then start it when you need it.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, sorry, that's true, you'd still need to set any services installed to either manual or disabled. I have installed and used Avira Premium as on-demand only with nothing resident and it works fine...

11. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

As a side note, almost anything you install anymore for on-demand has some sort of service that runs all the time. As long as they are not using cpu cycles, you should be ok. The new Ad-Adware, AVG Anti-spyware, a-sqaured AM and SuperAntiSpyware are a few examples. SuperAntiSpyware does have the option to stop theirs though.

You might also want to look and see if sched.exe is running too. I just installed Avira on my sis's computer and I thought it might be running. I can't remember though. Mine (premium) runs all the time even when I have nothing scheduled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.