How to check video and picture camera for malware

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by tommyp, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommyp

tommyp Registered Member

Hi!

By mistake I put in my video and picture cameras in my computer that was infected with malware. How can I now securely check if they have been infected or not? Does anyone have any ideas?

The video camera is supposed to have it's own "hard drive" but I connected it to PC using USB.

When I opened the files, I had "Show hidden files" ticked and could not discover any autorun.inf.

Regards

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

if concerned, re-format the drive from within the camera assuming it has such option

3. tommyp

tommyp Registered Member

Well that means I have to plug it into somewhere, what's the point then because then I will 1) Get infected and 2) I can just manually go through the USB and do scans and check for Autorun.inf (for example by creating my own Autorun.inf and making it write-protect etc) and then be 100 % sure there is no malware?

Isn't it kinda pointless to format it? Or maybe you know something I don't..?

4. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Before plugging the Camera, vaccinate your computer using Panda USB vaccine, and set it to automatically vaccinate any USB drives being plugged.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No, usually cameras as a format feature under the options menu (or similar name) wich will delete all the pics/vids that may be on it. So no need to connect the camera to your PC IF the camera has this feature.

PS.
    If you tell us the camera Brand and model number, we can check if your camera has such a format feature!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.