How to Change the Setting in Folder Lock

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Yandi, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yandi

Yandi Registered Member

Windows Vista 32 bit, AMD 64

Hi, I am using Folder Lock 5.9.0 from New Software, basically to password-hide my folder in my usb drive. I install it straight into my flash drive. I lost flash drives a lot in school, and I am afraid I won't be able to use other encryption softwares due to limited priviledges on my school computers.

Folder Lock has a feature that I really like, I can set it up to automatically lock after 5 minutes of inactivity (e.g., when I forgot my drive in some school computer). However, I cannot set it to be a default feature. I have to do it manually everytime I use a new computer (so I guess this setting is written into the computer's registry, not on the flashdrive). I was wondering if there is anyway to make it default on the flash drive so I don't have to use a lot of time to set it up?

Thank you very much.

2. Nagib

Nagib Registered Member

I can only recommend you to get rid of the Folder Lock. It's a scam. When I uninstalled it long ago it killed my truecrypt file containers. And the containers were completely outside of Folder Lock.

Folder Lock is useless crap. It doesn't really give you protection. If the power goes off while Folder Lock is mounted files will remain visible.

3. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

And didn't someone here recently (past couple of months) have problems with FolderLock so they just bypassed it completely?

What good is security if you can just walk around it?

4. Yandi

Yandi Registered Member

I agree on Folder Lock's limitations. So can you recommend me something that can automatically time-out on itself?

I just discover that while folder lock is on, I cannot modify any of my files which just defeat the purpose.

Where I am at people are kinda greedy, but they are not technologically sophisticated enough to bypass even the weakest protection; they'll just give up and delete the whole thing which I don't mind.

I am just looking for something simple but must be able to time-out and lock itself (which is not simple at all).

5. KookyMan

If you have administrative access on the system for the install, I'd suggest TrueCrypt. Its a lot more advanced than what you say you "need" but it definately will fit the bill.

6. Yandi

Yandi Registered Member

Oh I need the program to be portable since I don't have administrative rights on school computer.

I've been thinking, why don't people just make a usb drive where by you need to physically unlock the head to plug it in, but take it out of the drive and it will lock back by itself. That's the hardware metaphor of what I'm looking for.

7. KookyMan

Look into IronKey.

High security, self-contained. Windows Only at this point, but they are working on it.

There are also some USB Keys that use hardware authentication such as fingerprint (if you really want to look geeky, but they can be spoofed) or PIN pads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.