How to change drive letter on Rescue CD restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mumdigau, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mumdigau

mumdigau Registered Member

Hello,

I'm trying to restore a system partition (E:) with the rescue CD (TI Workstation 9.1.3887).

Under Windows XP, drive letters are as follows:

C: Boot partition HDD
    D: DVD drive
    E: System partition HDD
    F: System partition HDD
    W:Logical partition HDD
    X: Logical Partition on external USB drive
    Y: Logical Partition on external USB drive

The Rescue CD recognizes the drive letters differently, E: as D:, F: as E:, W: as F:, X: as G:, Y: as H, and D: as I:. I can't see any possibility to change the drive letter for E: which I want to restore to its correct value E:, as I can do when running TI from Windows.

1. Is it impossible to change the drive letter when using the Rescue CD, or do I just overlook something?

2. What happens when I restore nevertheless (i. e. with drive letter D:)? Will Windows recognize the partition as E:, or will it be altered to D:?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards

mumdigau

2. como

como Registered Member

You should firstly rename your drives in Windows to something memorable, as the rescue disk is Linux based and assigns drive letters differently to Windows. First search for posts by GroverH and read his guides linked at the bottom of any of his posts.

3. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

mumdigau:

Ignore the drive letters seen in the Linux recovery environment; they are meaningless. Do as como advised and give each drive a meaningful label so that you can identify them clearly.

Drive letters are only assigned by, and meaningful to, Windows. If you are restoring only one partition then Windows should reassign the same drive letter when it first boots up. So if the partition had the E: letter before then it should have the E: letter again after restoration.

4. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

If you restore the hard drive, and it boots up, just go into control panel/disk management and change your drive letters to the correct configuration if they got changed around during restoration

If the restored drive doesn't boot up or hangs at the log-on screen, then you need to go into the registry of your non-booting hard drive and change the drive letters there.

I use the program "paragon justboot corrector" to change drive letters after the fact. It'll let me change my drive letters to there original configuration even if the hard drive won't boot.

When your dealing with trying to restore a windows xp hard drive with multiple partitions, you might have drive letter problems. You need to plan for the worst. But it's a 5 minute fix with the right utilitys.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174958

5. mumdigau

mumdigau Registered Member

Hi,

I simply restored, and everything went fine. Thanks for any advice (and encouragement).

Still, I'll check Boot Corrector. Perhaps I only was lucky with my XP multi boot system.

mumdigau

6. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Good! And no, it wasn't luck; that's the way it should work. The only time that you may get into trouble is if you have made multiple partition changes and then reboot into Windows. For every drive that does not have an existing entry in HKLM\System\Mounted Devices, Windows will assign a drive letter based on a predefined heirarchy. If you only make one partition change then you'll never have a drive letter problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.