How to boot acronis from external drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by foghorne, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Hi,

I am using V8.937.
    The PC I have is fairly standard except that it is an XP embedded system which has no floppy or CD/DVD drive.

What I would like to do is boot from my USB external drive into Acronis True Image. I managed to get a flash memory stick working as a boot device using the "create bootable media" option. This was fine except the memory stick is not big enough to copy the image onto, and my external USB disk is not visible from within Acronis.

I have created a FAT 1GB Primary Active partition on my USB drive but need to install the Acronis bootup onto it. When I try to do this from the "create bootable media" (from within XP) option it refuses because it can't see any "floppy" drives on the box.

I am aware that I need to change the BIOS to boot from the USB drive, but how do I make the USB drive contain the Acronis system. Is there some way of creating an ISO image? Is there a procedure somewhere.

Many thanks
    F.

2. crash79`

crash79` Registered Member

Are you sure you have a bootable USB?
    My understanding is that your motherboard has to be able to support USB bootable.
    John

3. rafael

rafael Registered Member

This will be of interest to me. I have tried other programs to boot from USB with no luck. Seems to me, microsoft os can't boot from usb. I could be wrong.

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

The MoBo BIOS claims to support USB HDD/FDD/ZIP/CDROM. It can successfully boot from a USB memory stick.

I am not trying to boot from an MS OS. I am trying to boot the Acronic Loader from the USB drive.

Thank you both for your replies.
    F.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello foghorne,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that you will not be able to boot the standalone version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home from USB hard drive, since in order to do so the USB device sshould be formatted as a removable media, not a hard disk drive (a hard disk drive contains a partition table).

Since you have Acronis True Image 9.0 Home Bootable CD created on USB flash drive we may recommend you to boot your computer from it and store images to your external USB hard drive (or another supported storage device).

As to the issue that your USB drive is not visible when booted into stanalone version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

I would also recommend you to make sure that you use Bootable CD created with the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the problem persists, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Keep the USB drive connected. After that submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.