How to Block URL in AVG Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by RexB, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RexB

RexB Registered Member

How do I add and manually block specific URL's in this paid for AVG 7.5 Inet Suite with Firewall?

Sori if this been asked, but AVG support hasn't responded and I don't see it in their FAQs or manual.

Regards, Rex

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello,

I have not used AVG firewall much (very little),...... but from installing,..checking,..

I cannot find a way to directly block a url/IP for the system (all applications).
    It is possible to set rules to block IP`s/networks for an application, but in a roundabout way,..... by setting up a network (with IP/network to block) and entering this as an advanced rule for application. I can post instructions on this if it will help, but unsure if this is what you want?

3. RexB

RexB Registered Member

Yes that will help, thanks.

When I bought this suite, didn't even consider that the Firewall would not have a feature to directly block a URL/IP. I've suggested that as a necessary option on AVG's website; no response to that either.

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have been having another look, but still cannot find a way to block an IP for the system. So the only way I can find to block an IP/range is as I mentioned.

First open AVG, select the "Firewall" then "Configure.

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      87.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

First we need to add a network (this is the IP, or range of IP`s you want to block for an application), in my example I am blocking a single IP (fxfeeds)

In the "Firewall Configuration" window, select "Network"-> "Add Network"
    Name the network, then add the IP/ Range to block, then OK

Attached Files:

• 02.JPG
      02.JPG
      File size:
      124.1 KB
      Views:
  6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Then add the blocking rule to the application. I am going to block FF from using the IP(network) I added

Select the "Application" Tab. We then need to set the application (firefox in this example) to "Advanced rules".
    Left click the little green tick next to the application, in the drop down menu, select "Advanced"

Attached Files:

• 03.JPG
      03.JPG
      File size:
      41.8 KB
      Views:
  7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Then double left click the application (firefox), which will bring up the "Properties" window, showing the current rules, and select "Create rule" (I have already added a rule for DNS)

Attached Files:

• 04.JPG
      04.JPG
      File size:
      45.4 KB
      Views:
  8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

In the "Application rule" window. Select "Block". You then need to select from the "Available services" -> "All Traffic" (double left click this, and it will move over to the "Applied services". You then need to uncheck all the networks, apart from the network you want to block (this is the network you created, in my example "fxfeeds"), when done select OK

Attached Files:

• 05.JPG
      05.JPG
      File size:
      65.6 KB
      Views:
  9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The rule will then be added, but this rule needs to be moved to the top of the rules. So select the rule, then press the "Move up" button until the rule is at the top, then press OK.

Attached Files:

• 06.JPG
      06.JPG
      File size:
      54.7 KB
      Views:
  10. RexB

RexB Registered Member

:thumb: Added it here as a single IP network to block.

Stem, thankyou for taking the trouble to install AVG, post the graphics, and figure that out for me -- it was a puzzle! Now it's a more complete firewall, has what I need.

I got a chuckle out of the name of your block, "fx feeds", from Mozilla that FF often connects to.

Thanks again
    Rex

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Your Welcome,

Regards,
    Stem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.