How to block a port after detected?

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by hereiam, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hereiam

hereiam Registered Member

Hell everyone,

I just downloaded Port explorer. When I am not mistaking someone is using svchost to enter my computer. After detecting this how do I block such an entry. I am sorry to say but I don't know that much about security matters. Your help would be very appreciated.

Greetings 2 all, Hereiam

2. some made up name

some made up name Registered Member

I'm not sure PE can block network communication.

Also, it kinda sounds like you have internet connection sharing turned on (allow other computers on a local network to use the internet connection). Is this the case?

3. hereiam

hereiam Registered Member

Thanx for your reply. I am using cable so I understand I am part of a big network. I am not part of a LAN this is a stand alone computer.
    The IP, I disvored, is assigned to microsoft soft. Is this always the case I mean MS using a port.
    The reasing I asked this question about blocking is because what's the use of knowing if someone uses your port if you cannot do anything against it.
    Maybe I should become more acquainted with the capabilities of my firewall (zone alarm). I guess there must be a possobility to block a port I suppose.

But still any suggestions with regard to this problem are welcome

GRTX Hereiam

4. some made up name

some made up name Registered Member

As I understand it PE is a network analysis tool, ie. it allows you to see what is going on (hidden ports, etc.), allowing you to get a hint as to whether some possibly malicious software is running (why else would a program want to hide its network communication ;) )

PE is not a substitute for other software such as firewalls and anti-virii, but rather a suppliment :D.

5. Tony H

Tony H Registered Member

Hi,
    To actualy block a port you will have to do it with a firewall or in your router if you have one.

In PE however, you can kill a process or block it sending or recieving data. Other usefull things are available there also. In the top window, highlite a process and right click your mouse to see the options.

T.

6. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

What causes you think someone is doing this?
    What is the IP? Yes MS, or more appropriately your OS (which is?), uses ports not only for access to the Internet but to talk to various components of its self. This is a natural behavior.
    Yes you should, along with the capabilities of all of your security software. The version of ZA you are running dictates what capabilities are available to you. It would be a good idea for you to spend some time reading the ZA help file to understand what your version is able to do.

Knowing the answers to the above questions will greatly enhance the quality of help you will receive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.