How to be as untraceable as possible online?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DesuMaiden, Jul 13, 2015.

1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I've devised these steps.

1) Use a satellite dish at your house to amplify Wifi signals from as far as a mile away from your home.

2) Find a Wifi signal from a good distance away from your house that your satellite dish captured. Preferably at least 100 meters away from your house/apartment.

3) Hack the Wifi's security code.

4) Get access to the Wifi that you successfully hacked.

5) Connect a VPN through the hacked Wifi through a Virtual Machine (VM). And then connect Tor in front of the VPN.

So basically have the following diagram:

Your Computer------------>Wifi of Some Random Dude from a few hundred meters away (the only reason you can detect his Wifi's signals is because you amplified it with the satellite dish)------>VPN------>Tor---->Internet

But the honest truth is this: if you want to be as untraceable as possible in real life, the best thing you can do is to use the Wifi of some random coffee shop like Star Bucks and connect Tor to it.

What do you guys think of my plans? Do they sound viable?

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Just use a standard parabolic WiFi antenna with a Ubiquiti Bullet M radio. If possible, use ~5.xHz rather than ~2.4HGz because the antenna is much smaller. I've hit strong APs at ~5Km.

3. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

#3 will stop most people.

4. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

3) Hack the Wifi's security code.

Oh Really? :argh:

5. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Sorry, but your plans are funny (because they wouldn't work depending on WHY you want such privacy).

OK.

Not safe. If the "feds" investigate a case where you're involved they'd immediately be attracted to your big satallite dish. Unless you actually can receive a good signal from a mile away.

If the wi-fi network is securely implemented you'd take trillions of billions of centuries to crack the "code". But let's say you can. The wi-fi owner could set his/her router to log every MAC Address and other details about your computer that can be gathered when you connect to a network, not to mention he/she could eavesdrop on what you do on his/her network, who you connect to, how long, etc, etc.

Meaning "to be able to enter the router's administration panel"? If the router is well configured you won't be able to do so.

Hmmm. Why through a VM? If such security actually is needed then you shouldn't surf on a trusted machine in the first place (e.g. your home computer).

That's not true.

First, your browser is probably the worse security whole you have, specially if you have Flash and other spying tools installed. Properly configuring it is a key element to security and privacy.

Secondly, if you're using Windows you don't have any privacy at all, they have a universal backdoor that grants ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ full access to your machine. Add the fact that the NSA has a special interess in people using encrypted communications, and you might be a bigger targed for them.

If you use your computer at a public place than you must make sure there are more people connected to that network, such as at a busy coffee shop or airport, otherwise you'll be the only suspect there.

If you think you'd be "untraceable" with such setup, but are willing to use Facebook or Google or any account related to the PRISM-like companies while safe browsing, you might want to review your concept of "privacy" ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
  6. Hmmm I like discussions like these :) For us tin foil hat wearing folks it's how far we can push the status quo.

I see a few problems with the plan. Hacking isn't as easy as the movies make it out to be.

Plus what's the point of using TOR with hacked wifi? You want the wifi's clean i.p not TOR.

7. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

Somehow adding illegal activity and complexity to try to hide whatever it is you're trying to hide seems somehow counterintuitive. To hide/mask/become invisible/hard to trace one uses discretion and blends in...the opposite of what you're proposing.

How about you just stop doing things that you aren't supposed to be doing and you won't have to worry about it? Just a thought...

You never mentioned theory of operation or hypothetical situations; you stated "plans" multiple times. This is against the forum TOS:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  8. mirimir

Morality and forum policy aside, it's stupid to hack someone's WiFi router and then use it. It's like stealing a car, and then driving it around every day. Seriously?

9. krustytheclown2

krustytheclown2 Registered Member

I think hacking a WiFi hotspot a couple hundred meters away from you is incredibly stupid if you need perfect anonymity. If you're inclined to hack, you might as well hack into a computer half-way around the world and use it as a proxy instead of using somebody down the block. It's probably easier too given the huge number of grandmas and XP users that'll click on any email attachment.

Regardless, you don't need to hack anybody or do anything illegal for anonymity, it's as simple as going to a coffee shop, paying cash, connecting to several VPN's and then onto Tor. The OP's plan is overthinking things IMO.

10. Depends how far away it is I think. If you have the right attenna and live in a highly dense population that can get 5ks to 10ks range it's not so stupid.

Saying that I hardly ever use wifi and never use public wifi. And I'm not a hacker. So my opinion isn't worth much ;)

11. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

• The antenna is conspicuous...it is a modified satellite dish not pointed at satellites
    • You're treating the antenna as if it were receive only; the power required for the WiFi to receive it would interfere with other EM equipment, particularly POTS lines (landlines)
    • The cost and research of getting that to work would make for a very large, indiscreet trail...in which you'll probably look for more illegal means to remain "private"

12. I didn't say it was perfect just it's not that stupid. I'm not a hacker so I wouldn't know but I imagine the idea would be to get a clean i.p address no?

Anyway ask the Russians they have this down to a fine art. From what I have read they just buy anonymous 3G sims and use it over public wifi to hack.

Is it untracable? No. But what is untracable these days? Not much.

I always think to myself free public wifi would be monitered by the big 3 letter agencies and they would keep a keen eye out on anyone who uses free public wifi.

13. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

Yes, that's it. There's a spook hacker stationed at every free WiFi location. :isay:

I don't know what you're reading but 3G sims over WiFi..? Whaaaa?

14. What I meant to say was they use 3G/4LTE sims with a dongle to hide then connect to public wifi.

15. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

3G/4G has nothing to do with WiFi; you can use 3G/4G in lieu of WiFi. This isn't new; it's how one gets Internet in the field when WiFi isn't available.

16. They use the 3G/4G sims and then connect to public wifi. Understand?

I am just stating what they are using/techniques thery are using to evade the authorities.

I'm not sure what your point is?

17. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

i would add to the OP's list as #1 - buy a disposable used laptop computer with cash. also maybe run a live CD like TAILS.

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Reply Posts Due to Member's Deleted Posts. Also, Removed Posts Asking For Thread's Closure.

Note: Wilders Has a Report Thread/Post Feature. Please Use That Feature, Instead of Posting, Which Clutters the Thread.

19. I would use this http://samy.pl/proxygambit/

Now tell me that isn't cool :D

20. mirimir

That is cool :)

21. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

No, I do not. I do not know how a SIM can be used with public WiFi.

22. krustytheclown2

I'm pretty sure that he's talking about using a 3G (GSM) air card purchased with cash in order to connect to a WWAN network anonymously. It's not technically called WiFi though right?

23. Yes that is exactly what I'm talking about. Russian forums are full of anonymous sim card sellers and it's basically the advice they give to others is to use 3G sims.

24. krustytheclown2

That seems odd for a few reasons:

Russian crims (at least the ones living there) are largely unconcerned about Russian law enforcement since they overwhelmingly target Western countries in their hacks.

Since they target overseas businesses / people, they need IP addresses matching said countries, which an air card won't give them (but a proxy/VPN/etc will).

Finally, air cards are perfectly legal to buy in a store without any ID (at least where I live), why in the world would anybody want to buy one from some shady fraudster on a hacking forum? Honeypots, scams, etc. are probably more likely than not.

25. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

That has absolutely nothing to do with WiFi and that isn't 'hacking'; that's just a 'burner phone'.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.