How to backup OA free rules?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Anyone has an idea how can I backup OA free HIPS rules before doing a fresh reinstall of newer version? Any files, registry enterries etc to be saved?

Thanks

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

3. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Its not so much a draw back, but if you need the extra features, purchasing the full version will give them to you. :D

dja2k

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

This is the biggest drawback IMO. Option to backup rules is a must in a classical HIPS or you have to let the HIPS relearn ur system from scratch on each fresh install. that,s a big pain.

It seems a big NO to the free version of OA, at least in my opinion.

5. Dieselman

Completely agree. It takes me atleast a week to set up any firewall and learn all my apps. With OA free every time there is a new version that means uninstall and install then learn everything all over again. One of the reasons I went else where.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Guys, you just have to make a couple of simple decisions. If the free version is adequate use it. If not then go for the paid version. If neither are suitable, then move on.

Tallemu isn't doing Online Armor as a charity, it's a business, and as such needs revenue. The free version is like advertising. If all the most desired features were in it, no one would pay. So they are not. Simple.

Pete

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I totally understand that but IMO there is no fun in advertisement that tries to sell a product by annoying the users. Lcck of this feature is not only a limitation but also a big annoyance.

Ofcouse it,s just my opinion. U need not to agree.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Lack of features, is a limitation, now nag screens are annoying:D

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Nags are a big no also. I can never use a nagware, even if it is good.

10. Dieselman

I agree. Its like holding a steak in front of a hungry tiger. See this nice juicy steak..........if you want it you need to give me something. Online Armor free is a great free firewall. But its limited in its functions. So Online Armor hooks you in and you like it so much then you must by it to fully like it. Its almost like shareware.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

OA free is fine. It has no nag. To me only issue is inability to backup the HIPS rules.

12. subset

subset Registered Member

I agree, I would even say the inability to backup all rules (Autostart, Programs, Firewall...) and settings.
    This was the most inconvenient limitation in OA free for me.

Otherwise I am a long-term Kaspersky user.
    They have a lot of special offers, but they don't have any sort of freeware in supply.
    Most have to pay to use it and neither in support forums nor here most users are complaining, that KAV/KIS are to expensive or have a big lack of features etc.

It's like only if a company offers a free (light) version of its product, a endless spiral of (paid) feature requests will be put in motion.
    This seems to be a little unfair related to this companies, because only for offering a free product they award this penalty, not if they don't...

For myself I came to a compromise:
    I purchased a OA license and because of KAV I disabled Web- and Mail-Shield in OA.
    Well now, i have kind of OA free paid running.:)

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.