How to backup a Windows SBS 2003 server?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by depoteet, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. depoteet

depoteet Registered Member

After reading some of the posts, it seems that making an image of an SBS 2003 server (domain controller) and restoring it to another server is not straight forward. Id like to get some advice on how to resolve my client's needs.

He has a SBS 2003 server and an identical spare machine. The plan was to use True Image Server 9.1 to create an image of the SBS server which could be restored to the other machine in case of failure. My client doesn't want to be down for more than a few minutes if there's a failure.

Will True Image server do this? If so what's the procedure? Is there a better way?

Thanks,

Darrell

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Darrell,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

We recommend you to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows or Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows for your purposes. The major difference between these two Acronis True Image versions is that Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows provides you with the remote backup feature, i.e. the ability to perform the backup process remotely.

In general, the backup procedure will be as follows:

- Create an image of the entire server hard drive saving this image to any type of the supported media (e.g. any internal\external\network drive, CD, DVD, ZIP, Tape, etc.);

- Boot the "spare" machine from the beforehand created Bootable Rescue CD;

- Gain the access to the device your image is saved to;

- Restore the image;

- Boot into the restored operating system.

Please note that as long as both computers are having the same hardware configuration, you can easily transfer the operating system between them as there should not be any problems upon the restored operating system bootup. In case of transferring Windows to a computer with the hardware configuration different from that of the original machine, we recommend you to use the above mentioned products in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore.

As for backing up a Domain Controller, please take a look at the following previous threads explaining in details how this can be done: Microsoft Doesn't Support IMAGING of Domain Controllers!!, True Image in Server.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial versions of the products you are interested in to see how the software works on your particular software\hardware configuration.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use the products mentioned above in the respective User's Guides.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the corresponding product.

Please also note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase.

In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. carls

carls Registered Member

What about TrueImage Pro, I have made a bootable CD to load TrueImage. Can I backup my servers without starting the OS and will that cause me any issues?

Insert CD - > Boot TrueImage -> Backup partitions to External Hard drive.

Carl

4. carls

carls Registered Member

Another thing, can I talke to my external LTO 400/800 Dell Tape with this software from a Boot from CD?

Carl

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Carl,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify what product do you mean under 'TrueImage Pro'?
    However, Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD supports extenal USB drives and can back up your data and save image archives onto such drive.

Yes, you can. Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD allows you to use Tape drives as a storage for backups too.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

6. carls

carls Registered Member

Thank you very much. I used the recue disk and it worked perfectly!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.