How SpywareBlaster Works?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by coaster, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coaster

coaster Registered Member

I suppose you get this question a lot: "How does SpywareBlaster work if it's not running?" So, I did look through the previous threads and found an answer I don't understand: SpywareBlaster inserts killbits in the Registry.

What are killbits? How do they stop spyware?

Thanks..... :cool:

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

3. coaster

OK, thanks, that link is informative.

So if I understand it correctly, SpywareBlaster scans HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\ for CLSIDs for known malware ActiveX controls, and then sets a bit in the CompatibilityFlags DWORD value known as the "kill bit." Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So, SpywareBlaster modifies the Registry. If I uninstall it, does it restore the Registry entries changed subsequent to installation?

Thanks....

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Per: http://www.javacoolsoftware.info/kb/article.php?id=078

You will need to open SpywareBlaster and click on "Disable All Protection" before uninstalling to revert all changes.

I hope this helps. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That is an important registry key in regards to Spywareblaster ActiveX protection but it does not scan for anything.

Spywareblaster tutorial---> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=49

6. coaster

OK, I gotcha. ;)

Answers the questions about restoring Registry if uninstalled, and about running ActiveX Controls if they're "OK"

(and I was kinda intrigued by how it worked, anyway. :D )

Cool software -- I wish more apps would give added functionality without hogging memory and cpu cycles.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.