How should I backup my files?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mnd99, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mnd99

mnd99 Registered Member

Hi there,

I got an external 1.5TB hard drive and I would like to backup some of my files. I have lot of text documents and programs that are very important and private. I was wondering what was the best way to protect my privacy when doing backups? Do I just archive them with a password? I have never done anything like this before. I have heard of encryption but don't have any experience with this. Any free programs out there that are easy to use? Can encrypted files be corrupted or lost in a way that makes it impossible to retrieve the data? I don't think I'm looking for an extreme protection but maybe a step above basic protection! Any help regarding this would be really helpful!

Thank you

2. katio

katio Guest

You mean source.

@mnd99
    Is your system encrypted? If not, why do you want to encrypt your backup?

At any rate, it's easy. If you use Windows, install Truecrypt and follow the instructions and docs.

Yes, the drive can get corrupted or you could lose the pass phrase which makes recovery impossible for the foreseeable future.
    Truecrypt offers you to backup the headers, do it.

As for the backup software itself, there are two basic approaches:
    disk cloning/imaging: takes a 1:1 copy of everything, including the OS, software, settings and files. Windows got a somewhat primitive solution built in, you can use clonezilla which is free or a traditional commercial software like Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost.

file based backup: lots of options, the manual way using Windows Explorer, a cli program, e.g. robocopy, rsync (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync#Windows or Unison) or a payware one (e.g. Syncback)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.