How shall IMON help for me?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Kurpan, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurpan

Kurpan Guest

Hi

I have not good english but have question with regards to IMON.

I trialed the trial for NOD32 and when I go to some site and it says message from IMON on a virus to block it. And I blocked it.

And then the other computer that is of my father which has not NOD32 on it and I went to the same site and no message came. Does this mean that my computer of my father got virus infection now because when I go to that site and I don't have NOD32 and that site i know has virus since IMON tells me that way?

How can this be? How can this site send virus infection to my computer of my father even if I never did not open any file or anything of like that. All I do was to go on a site but I never did not download any file or never did not open any file but IMON told me about virus infection still.

2. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

3. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Here is an example. Some webpages will load a Java applet that is really a trojan horse. Most people have their browsers set to download Java applets without asking. Since you have IMON, this Java applet was detected and stopped. On your father's computer, well... it wasn't. :eek:

4. Kurpan

Kurpan Guest

Thank you to you all.

But answer me this. what kind of damage can website virus do for me?

the computer of my fathers is now with the virus infection from website but everything is working good still.

is that kind of thing harmful or is nothing for me to worry?

What kind of things like that can IMON safe me from?

What kind of harmful thing can happen from when IMON is not on?

5. alglove

Without knowing exactly which virus was caught by IMON on your computer, it is hard to say exactly what will happen to your father's computer.

Some viruses are meant to steal passwords from your computer. Others will display pop up windows out of nowhere, advertising some product. Some will change your internet browser settings, so if you type in http://www.google.com , you will be taken somewhere else, instead. Others will actually try to hack into your system, so that some pirate can turn your father's computer into an illegal DVD file server. Sometimes you can notice a difference (the computer runs slower), but not always.

IMON can save you from all of these things, because it scans the network traffic as it comes into your computer. Not only can it find viruses in webpages (HTTP traffic), but also in most e-mail you receive (POP3 traffic).

If you are running NOD32 and have IMON turned off, you still have AMON. AMON will scan files for viruses as they are created or changed. However, it is good to have the extra level of protection with IMON. Here is the usual order of virus scanning when using a web browser:

Internet --> IMON --> file created --> AMON

As for the file on your father's computer, it is *possible* that the virus will not work, even though it has already been downloaded. In my Java example, some Java viruses were written because they used a bug in Java. Sun found the problem and fixed it in a newer version of Java. If your father has the fixed version of Java, the virus may not run at all. That one reason it is important to have updated software on your computers.

However, your father may not be so lucky. It is impossible to know for sure, unless something bad happens. Then we know he is unlucky. :(

6. Kurpan

Kurpan Guest

I thank you to you alglove. For how you helped me alot.

:D

7. alglove

You are quite welcome. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.