How secure is SecureZone?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by loziro, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loziro

loziro Registered Member

Hi,
    I have read that securezone is a xCB (Secured FAT32) filesystem.
    How it work? It not use any password becouse when I create the sz,
    not password are required. Use the serial number of TI for securing it?
    Or use a standard password setted by default on TI?

I hope sz is not only an FAT32 hided partition becouse with some tools
    and a little of intelligence is possible to unhide them.

Please answer me..thank you much.

ziro

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

ziro:

You are correct. The ATI Secure Zone is just a hidden partition that holds the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager AND any backups that you choose to store there.

The backups themselves can be protected by a password. When you create a backup, choose "Backup Options" and "Archive Protection" and then set a password to protect your backup from unauthorized users.

You can set a password on any backup regardless of whether you store the backup in the Acronis Secure Zone or elsewhere.

Mark

3. loziro

loziro Registered Member

I've understood but it possible to unhide the securezone partition with a whichever partitioning tool? Becouse it isn't possible, the partition are really secured.. elsewhere no. Isn't secure also if I set a password to the backup image becouse if anyone find the recovery algorithm of ATI can recover the
    image without insert any password.

ziro

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Are you as concerned about the security of your home/office as you are about TI backups? Do you have bars on all windows and an alarm system? Do you rekey locks regularly to ensure that keys do not get copied?

How secure do you need to be? What do you have that's such a target of thieves? Hmmm....

5. theog

theog Registered Member

Your reply is off topic.... :rolleyes:

Seems like a legit concern, IMO... Although, I'm not too worried about the security of my backups since they are secured through additional methods.... :shifty:

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

My point was simply that an encrypted backup in a SecureZone isn't important if there's an unbarred window or a door with an unsecure lock protecting the computer itself. Physical security of the premises is as much a part of security as encryption, etc.

7. loziro

loziro Registered Member

Ok I've understood.. I hope Acronis will make a new version in the latest time
    that support image encryption.

ziro

8. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

ziro:

Can't you create an image and then run the resultant .tib file through some kind of file encryption process and end up with what you want?

9. loziro

loziro Registered Member

Not.. becouse .tib file is very big and I can't decrypt it for recover system without boot windows in which there are decryption utility.

But.. no problem :) thank you a lot.

ziro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.