How Secure do you feel InstantCrypt is?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I was needing some feedback from those using InstantCrypt or anyone that has tried InstantCrypt. Especially any feedback from those very knowledgeable with e-mail encryption. How secure do you feel it is? Is it easy to use? I've been using TrueCrypt for years, but I have only tried a few e-mail encryption softwares. I have encrypted e-mail now, but its through a paid service. Would you suggest it's use for highly sensitive data. Say if your contacts identities needed to be protected? That is not the case, but i wanted to give an example to the level of security i am seeking.

2. Cutting_Edgetech

I was just reading on their site that they use public key encryption. Wouldn't it be more secure using a private key? Whats the goods, and bads of using a public key?

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Thanks Possey! I guess i was just being lazy. I should have did a little research instead of just asking such a broad question. I'll do some research, and get back to this post.

4. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Public key encryption just means that one has a public key that anyone can access. Each public key has a corresponding private key that must be kept private. We call this a "key pair."

So, if I want to send you a secure e-mail, I merely find your public key somewhere (like on a keyserver or you can email it to me) and then use your public key to encrypt the e-mail. Then you use your private key to decrypt it. Public keys can only be used for encryption -- they cannot unlock an encrypted e-mail -- only the corresponding private key can do that.

The reason for a public and private key should be obvious: it alleviates the long standing problem that plagued cryptography for decades -- how do two parties exchange keys prior to sending a secure message? Public keys solved this whole problem. Prior to public keys, two parties had to find some way to securely exchange keys (like through a trusted courier with a suitcase strapped to his wrist). Now, anyone can merely put their public key out on the Internet for anyone to have.

As to your question about InstantCrypt -- I have never heard of it. I, personally, stick with the tried and true standards of GPG or PGP.

5. Cutting_Edgetech

Thank You Chronomatic! I'm seeing things much clearer now.

6. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

As far as the true standards of GPG or PGP, I just want file encryption with something easy to use, I don't need anything for email.

I there really anything in Windows then for GPG or PGP?

THANKS

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

8. Cutting_Edgetech

Attached Files:

9. Cutting_Edgetech

BTW.. I tried Instant Crypt for a little while, but the recipient has to have Instant Crypt installed on their machine or they can't decrypt the message. I was looking for something that could be decrypted without any dependency of any special software. The encryption may be sound, but it was not what I was looking for. One thing worth mentioning is they have excellent help for teaching you how to use their software. The help section on the app itself is outstanding. It will link you to their website, and show you step by step how to use all the the features provided with their software in a virtual video. Extremely easy to use.

10. Justin Troutman

Justin Troutman Cryptography Expert

I'm not very familiar with InstantCrypt, but it seems to attempt simplifying OpenPGP-based e-mail encryption; this is a pretty hefty task, but a worthwhile one, in general. While I doubt I'll use it, I'll look into it. The usability of cryptographic products is as big of a problem as the implementation of cryptographic products, and no less of a battle.

In the end, though, I'd probably recommend a product from PGP, simply because of their track record for building good cryptographic products; the reputation of who's implementing it [cryptography] is what matters most. It seems like InstantCrypt has the right pair of shoes on, and now it needs to grow into them. Let's watch and see.

11. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well I just wanted something simple and GUI, even though I'm a Unix geek that can handle the CLI, in Windows I'm lazy and go gui, LOL...

I got Gpg4win and GPA sucked big time, what a crap gui, crashed an not stable and talk about those looks too, sheesh reminded me of the old GTK 1x days, LOL...

Then I tried Cryptophane which was a lot better for the GUI side of looks and stability, but I don't care about any email aspects of this, I'm just into file encryption. Which on the gnugpg and pgp front, email always has to be tied in there somewhere, if I could just have some nice file encryption in a simple gui minus the email I'd be happy, but that doesn't seem to be this world...

12. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Care to fill us in on which service??

I think they need some form of pgp encryption and not necessarily InstantCrypt.

Tell us more about "exactly" what your goal is here!

13. Cutting_Edgetech

Tabacco, i may have misspoke. When i was speaking of having an encrypted e-mail service i was referring to Xerobank's Ecrypted mail which encrypts the mail from point A to point B.

Several years ago i tried something called Silver Key. It would be best if you read about it from their site since i wouldn't be very good at explaining how it works since i still am learning very much myself. It's not free. http://www.kryptel.com/products/silverkey.php

I would like some form of e-mail encryption which the recipient does not have to have the same software installed on their PC.

14. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hey There CE

Have a look through this thread here - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=283038

What you seek is difficult but it can be done. However, though secure, you need to put thrust in a 3rd party server. It's a compromise that has to be made if your contacts are being stubborn :(

Another suggestion is writing your text in notepad, include any attachments and using something like winrar, create a password protected, self-decrypting rar file. All they need is to enter the password and it will self decrypt - no software needed.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  15. Cutting_Edgetech

Yes, using Winrar is a good option. I have a license for Winrar, and Winzip. I just like to experiment with all possibilities. Yes, I was looking at your thread. I can move the conversation over there. Correction, the above thread is not the thread i was looking at earlier. Did you start a instant crypt recently?

16. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

It's an older thread that had some new action. The link i provided for you talks about email encryption and i mentioned a few programs there that might interest you (cryptoheaven, TrulyMail, O'polis)

17. Cutting_Edgetech

Ok, i will check it out. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.