How safe with SmartHide?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by rendez2k, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

As a purely theoretical discussion, if I sign up for Arovax SmartHide to change my IP address and then do something illegal on the net, won't the authorities just go to Arovax and demand my details from them rather than my service provider? I'm just wondering how safe and protected I'd actually be by paying for this service! Surely somebody somewhere would be able to see what I'm doing?

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You've got the right train of thought. Even if you encrypt your communications, you're still going to leave SOMETHING SOMEPLACE. Whether Arovax would readily hand over their logs is dependent on their policy, but rest assured with enough "encouragement" they eventually would. Your service provider may not even bother waiting for a subpoena, they may just hand it right over. ISPs are known to do that. Any crime committed using a computer is going to get found out about eventually. Computers are the biggest tattle-tellers ever invented, and if you don't get busted today or tomorrow, you will eventually. You can hide your IP from everybody except your ISP. If even they couldn't see it you wouldn't be able to be online. Keep your nose clean :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.