How safe is the default Microsoft java?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ssecure, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssecure

ssecure Registered Member

Hi, I remember reading smwhere that microsoft's java was not secure....cant remember where or if it was javascript or java...

I tried installing newest java and the thing annoys me to no end. It got itself into every browser and started new windows service called -quick start java- or smth like that.

I use winpatrol (free) so I have that startup program blocked but it doesnt care, it simply starts up anyway...Now I dont need java everytime I surf and Ive hardly used it lately so I dont need that thing. The new java seems so intrusive compared to earlier version so I would like to get it if I ever need it.

That leads me to my question. if I install windows xp sp3 using cd, is the default java or javascript or whatever it has that gets installed, is that secure to browse etc...I'm not talking about the java that you use to chat or play games etc, dont need that atm.just need the one that you can surf with ok.

Sorry for the poor wording, I'm complete newb in this area so thats the best I could put it.

Thanks.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    I think it would be microsoft java that isnt secure. I do find it annoying that java installs the autostart entrie for updates even thou i tick dont check for updates automatically as well... the solution to that and java quickstarter is below.
    use winpatrol to wipe out the autostart entrie that is used to check for updates for Sunjava and go to control panel,java,advanced,miscellaneous. click on the little plus to expand the section and untick java quickstarter.

you will need to repeat the steps everytime a newer version of java comes out for example java 6 update 15.

what browsers do you use?
    make sure all browsers and plugins are up to date using a tool such as secunia PSI

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  3. ssecure

ssecure Registered Member

Yeah I think it was the micro java too....So thats not the default that comes bundled in the cd? The cd has mirco javascript correct?

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

There is no default Java and there will be no (sun) java unless you install it. Forget about MS Java that has been abandoned long time ago. You will have javascript that comes supported with any browser.
    see about the difference between the Java & JavaScript
    http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/javascript/article.php/3470971

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

They stopped this after Windows 2000, XP has no MS java at all. As mentioned, if you don't install java manually yourself, you won't have it. I personally don't have much use for it, so I never bother installing it.

6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

You don't need to stop Java quick starter, nor update checker via a third party program. These settings can be changed in the Java control panel, available via the computer control panel.

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi Tarq57. Despite un-ticking "Check for Updates Automatically" and "Never Auto-Download" in the Java control panel, jusched.exe starts with my machine. I've recently been using Autoruns to block it from starting.

8. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Hi innerpeace, you are quite right. Just checked myself. (No pun intended.)
    I've disabled it through msconfig, since the program appears to give that option yet doesn't.
    The quickstarter appears to be properly disabled, via the program settings, however.

9. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi Tarq57, it is a sneaky little bugger isn't it? The quickstarter is disabled for me also via the Java control panel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.