How ransomeware can infect your computer

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Krysis, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

For those wishing to know how ransomeware may 'infect' your computer - this example from Computerworld may be of interest.

''Last week, my company was paid a visit by some interesting malware. This time, it was ransomware: malicious software that disguises itself as "security software" but actually holds the system hostage to trick the user into paying money to the software's handlers''

''we were able to determine that the infection came from a Web advertisement on the front page of a major news service. The website for the news service was fine, but it links to a series of rotating ads, one of which was compromised. When the compromised ad appears on the news service's Web page, it infects the unlucky browser using JavaScript code -- a drive-by download of malware that doesn't require the user to do anything. No need to click "yes" or "continue" to any prompts -- the JavaScript code executes automatically as soon as the ad appears''

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9233254/Security_Manager_s_Journal_New_ransomware_attack_hurts_trustworthiness_of_Web?taxonomyId=85

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Interresting read, I am glad that I use adblock... But this line makes me wonder:

Did they actually ignore the alerts from their intrusion-detection and behavioral monitoring software?

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Sandboxie does a pretty go job of stopping this kind of malware.

Pete

4. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Would simply disabling Javascript in one's browser have stopped this particular ransomeware?

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

JavaScript, whitelisting domains (whatever method one prefers). Nothing complicated, just unaware users as usual. :argh:

-edit-

Blocking ads would have worked nice as well.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I fail to see the novelty of what's afoot here.
    Mrk

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

The author of the article clearly his limited knowledge of dealing with malware when he says the only way to get rid of the threat was to reimage the infected computers.
    Sure, I know that in some cases restoring from an image is quicker and easier then actually removing a threat, but to suggest that the threat could only be removed by doing a reimage is rediculous.

8. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

roger_m, he didn't say the only way to get rid of the malware was to reimage, but in a business environment where time is money is not cost effective to try and "fix" the computer with traditional methods. A reimage takes no time at all and ensures the pc is clean.

:)

9. roger_m

He did say just that.

No argument from me there.

10. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The same applies to a home or personal environment. Leaving trivial cases apart, it is always better to reimage. But, of course, a reimage does take time ...

11. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

20 min on my set up :)

12. roger_m

I need to delete some files - takes me hours.

I have never restored from an image to clean malware. I do see the point in doing so, however in my case it quicker to remove the malware, and when I clean malware for others they never have an image of their system.

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

It's the paradox - those who image, know their business, they never get infected, and hence they never need to restore due to malware. You end up having a setup that's much like nuclear weapons - a deterrent rather than something you would use. I think images are more useful against legit software doing boo-boos rather than malware.
    Mrk

14. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

You've hit the proverbial nail on the head :thumb: :D

I'd say equally as useful against either, but I re-image due to the former rather than the latter.

15. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Yes, and also against failing hard-drives...

16. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

these kind of drive by downloads should be stopped in W8 by default with the help of Windows Smart Screen

And a necessity to have adblocker installed in browsers :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, agreed on that.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.