How private is my browsing?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Lanny1276, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lanny1276

Lanny1276 Registered Member

Hello everyone, new to the forum.

I do all my websurfing at free wifi locations. Like many on wilder's, I am a privacy idealist, and hate the fact that the websites I visit are tracked no matter how innocuous they are. My goal is to surf using HTTPS and encoded url's whenever it is possible. I like to use ixquick as much as possible with their proxified search results under encoded url's. I also have my cookies shut off when surfing.

My question is... how protected from "sniffing" and MITM am I when browsing under HTTPS with encoded urls using highly anonymous proxies?

I realize doing email and flash and logins are different concerns , so I like to concentrate on WEB SURFING ONLY for now.

Thank you all and am looking foward to learning a lot on wilder's.
    this is my browser setup:
    Firefox Portable with cookies disabled and cache set to zero.
    extensions: noscript, ghostery, betterprivacy, addblockplus (easylist+easyprivacy+malwaredomains), HMA proxy ext, and a few more.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

private enough

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Even from a free Wi-fi you might just want to run a mac address changer so as never to be trackable via your Network Interface Card (NIC) under the guise of plausible deniability.

Then again, if you are completely paranoid - consider a different personal disguise so you personally cannot be identified via video camera tapes (each time) at the free Wi-Fi location. They're everywhere these days!

-- Tom :)

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

If you use HTTPS no one but you and the website can view the data unless someone manages to crack the encryption or hack a certificate. If you want to hide who you are from the website than TOR is a good option for that.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The only issues with TOR is that 1. It's horrendously slow. 2. You have no idea who else you're connecting to. Lately every time I've loaded up TOR, MBAM's malicious IP blocker goes off like crazy and I get a lot of hits from NATO C3 in Peerblock and TOR. Granted the C3 issue doesn't worry me since I know what that's about, but it would scare the crap out of anyone else :D

6. Lanny1276

Lanny1276 Registered Member

Thanx for the responses. I was thinking the same thing about changing the MAC address occasionally. Does anyone know of a program or an ext for firefox that does this easily?

7. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.