How precise is S.M.A.R.T. technology?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TimaN, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

there are two main things to keep in mind when employing SMART
    the first

http://i18.tinypic.com/2dilue0.gif
    source PC Guide

its useless for a great number of potential points of failure

the second is that without enough data points it can generate misleading predictions.

last time it checked it was 100 this time it checked its 50
    prognosis next time it checks following this average it will be dead

2. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Hi,

Could you tell us what program do you use to display these parameters ? Thanks.

3. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Speedfan is quite good when you use the online analysis.

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I dunno about that. I just had a hard drive go south that is less than a year old. I got about 20 to 30 mins warning as I got to watch values go down very steadily and rapidly, but it was enough time to move my data off of it.

5. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

your very lucky ;)

SMART was never intended to be a realtime monitored system (it might trigger an email, you might get it tommorow)
    circuit boards and IC chips do degrade, but generally not to the point its very noticeable before total failure (discounting corruption) of course power events, impact ect arent predictible. There are alot of failure points where things go to hell in a handbasket in an awful damn hurry

6. TimaN

TimaN Registered Member

I use Hard Drive Inspector to monitor my HD.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    After running a couple of these progs for a few months, the predictions went from 2007 or so to 2020 or so. Crazy eh?
    Mrk

8. jp10558

jp10558 Registered Member

On this topic, I am very interested if anyone can tell me why these programs seem to be so confused on my PC (Also WD WDLG).

I have a pretty unusual setup I guess so here goes.

I have 1 IDE drive connected to the motherboard. I have 3 IDE drives connected to an Adaptec (previously a Highpoint, and this was the same) PCI expander(non-raid) card. I have 2 SATA II Drives connected to the motherboard.

All these programs show a random assortment of my harddrives, but none of them show all the drives. For instance, HD Inspector showed drive C,D,K,L - Active SMART shows drives L,G,C,H,D - WD DLG shows Drive L twice, and drive C and D... Hell WD DLG shows Drive L twice, and one display Fails SMART and the other Passes SMART... The other testers noted PASS all the drives they see...

So.. I don't really trust any of these programs as none of them even detect all my drives, forget about giving consistent data!

I take it back, HDTune does see all the drives, this is a first - and in the free one!

9. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I don't usually check my values, but I remember that the last few times I checked it, all the values were in the green zone.
    Performance does decrease over time. Just think how much wear and tear a hard drive can suffer from in just one day. Defragmentation is critical as it may be the no.1 killer of hard drives.
    My old computer had a maxtor hard drive too, and it was not defragmented for 7-8 years! And it worked like a hero for those years until I erased all the data on it as I prepared for my new computer.

10. TimaN

TimaN Registered Member

My harddrive gets errors as shown on the screenshot. I have to run chkdsk utility to correct them. S.M.A.R.T. monitoring program records changes and brings up a warning screen that my harddrive's performance maybe impaired with decreased values of various SMART aspects. I never had a harddrive where I had to run check disk once a week. (I don't have to but I choose to eliminate problems). I run check disk from DOS command prompt and I run it several times and each time it finds different errors; only after 4 or 5 scans my drive is clean from errors. Is my harddrive going south?

Attached Files:

11. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

It is not necessarily a hardware error. You should try :
    chkdsk <diskletter:> /F /X /R to be sure
    or use a freeware like HDTune, last version, to check the disk surface.

Also, try to backup any important data on another physical HDD.

12. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

As said above, SpinRite is the way to go.

13. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Did you delete an NTFS partition in those few months? :D

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Nope, I did not... Eventually the date went up to 2056.
    I have no idea why or how, but I'd like to see a hard disk that will last ~ 50 years.
    Mrk

15. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Mrk.,
    I only want the one that predicted 2020.

16. TimaN

TimaN Registered Member

When I do chkdisk runs, and after it finds and fixes errors my predictions increase.

17. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Please remember that spinrite does not actually fix physical errors, if a sector fails and spinrite fixes it by rewriting recovered information, then it can fail again.
    Use it only as a recovery tool - it cannot prevent errors from occuring again.

18. 'G'

'G' Registered Member

My recommendation is ActiveSMART.

I have a 20% on my site if any one is interested.

I beta test for all the developers on my site.

www.software-discounts.com

The new website will be live in 3 weeks time.

G

PS: To understand any program, you need to read the manual, if they have one.

19. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Do not relay to much in SMART technology. Most of the times when it warns you is already to late.

If it ever happens (I know, it happened to me once) do not try to backup the entire disk. First get the most important things and then everything else; if the disk stay alive long enough.

When I encountered this problem I managed to save only 3gb of data from a 40gb disk. After that it stopped spinning.:'(

20. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Endorsing yourself as a reseller is not allowed nor regarded as trustworthy on these forums.
    Keep in mind you are dealing with some of the most respected people in the security (and other areas) business, and endorsing yourself is a pretty bad start. Friendly advice that's all... If you wanna get mentioned you gotta make a great product that people will talk about. Spreading the word ..

21. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi all :)

About S.M.A.R.T.

An article:

What is S.M.A.R.T. and how can we use it to avoid data disaster?
    http://www.almico.com/sfarticle.php?id=2

Read it carefully: to undestand the way to compute the values and the fact that iT,s dependant of manufacturer implementation... (so this is an other "standard" not-standard ...)

About CHKDSK:

the correct command is :

Start | run | chkdsk X: /R
    where X: is the letter of the disk to be checked.

The switch R include the switch F

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.