How often do you defrag your drives?

Discussion in 'polls' started by cet, Dec 28, 2009.

?

How often do you defrag your drives

1. Every day

6 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Twice a week

14 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. Once a week

45 vote(s)
    28.7%
  4. Once a month

50 vote(s)
    31.8%
  5. Once a year

13 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Other

29 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. Halffull

Halffull Registered Member

I have so much free space on my hard drive..

C: 80% free
    D: 85% free
    E: 66% free [storage and downloads]

That there isn't any need for me to de fragment and I don't see a huge performance problem.

I use auslogics disk defrag, however I found that even after a full defrag with auslogics when I fire up windows defrag it still says by drive is fragmented.

2. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

When I need to, I run analyze, if it says I need to I do it other wise I let it go. I check about once every couple of months, most of the time it is fine.

3. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Auto daily defrag? Auto real-time defrag? Been there, done it but then realized that it might not be such a good idea in the long run - causes "disk trashing". I'm no expert but weekly or monthly is a safer idea imo.

Personally, I found out from the defrag results that the fragmentation levels on my PC isn't that bad - I'm guessing it has to do with my routine cleaning with CCleaner. Hence, I hardly do defrag anymore until I feel like it's time for it. I've got Puran to 'remind' me by setting a scheduled boot-defrag. Sometimes, I let it proceed and at times, I just skipped it.

On my test machine with an ISR, I don't use any defrag programs and even turned off the built-in defrag on Win7.

4. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

I have Puran configured the same way, plus I about every other week I check to see if my drives need to be completely defragged but most of the time they don't need it. It appears that the idle defrag does the job since I usually leave my computer on most of the time.

Thanks.:)

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Now i just leave O&O do its auto scheduling work, so it's almost everyday when available :D :thumb:

6. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Once a week:D puran defrag:argh:

7. kuti

kuti Registered Member

Never, because i use SSD.

8. guest

guest Guest

Now pretty much leaving PerfectDisk Full Auto Schedule StealthPatrol SMARTPlacement to work on its own.

9. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

don't you guys chdsk your drives before defrag

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.