How not to backup the folder ".."?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by PVSmith, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PVSmith

PVSmith Registered Member

I am creating a new task using the Backup Wizard. When I select a subfolder under "My Documents" the wizard automatically selects a System folder of "..".
    No matter how I try, when the backup runs, it will not backup this system folder. I have to manually ignore the folder and let the rest of the backup run. I didn't have this problem with previous versions of Acronis.

Also, I constantly get error messages when a custom task is running that Acronis cannot backup a file, usually an older *.dbf file. Sometimes I delete the file, other times I just manually ignore the file so the process can run. But is there a patch or something that I can download that will accept these older files in the backup. This is an incremental backup as a custom task. Thank you.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello PVSmith,

Thank you for using Acronis Products

Can you please clarify the exact title of the program and the build number? Regarding the second issue I may recommend you to check the disk for errors:

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r" (where DISK is the partition letter you need to check) for every partition that is visible in My Computer. Please note, that checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

3. PVSmith

I am using Acronis True Image Home 2009. I don't have any idea how to find the build number associated with the application. I've looked everywhere in the Help and within the application and can't see one listed.

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

They've put the "about" info in a hard to find place, sort of like putting the information booth inthe back of the airport so you have to aks directions to the information booth jsut so you can find it to ask for directions.

From the main window hit the Alt key for the help system. This is meant to emulate the newer MS Office 2007 menu style but why a programmer would make that info hard to find is totally beyond me.

5. PVSmith

You have that right--I would have never guess to hit the Alt key to display the About. Thank you.

I am using Build 9709.

6. Acronis Support

Hello PVSmith,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

To resolve the issue please re-start Acronis scheduler.

- Download a special Acronis utility;
    - Start the Command Prompt from Start -> Programs -> Accessories menu;
    - Run the following commands in the folder you saved the file to:

schedmgr task zap
    schedmgr service stop
    schedmgr service uninstall
    schedmgr service install
    schedmgr service start

This should delete all Acronis tasks on the PC. You should manage your tasks from the scratch. Execute a backup operation and see if the issue remains.

If the issue persists, please download Acronis Scheduler, which is a special utility to update the scheduler service. The link is available here

Extract the downloaded file, run install.bat and wait for the process to be completed. The utility will automatically update the service. Reboot the computer and re-create the task.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

7. PVSmith

I followed every step, and downloaded the Acronis Scheduler, which deleted all my previous scheduled tasks. I can say that this worked for about half the tasks. It is odd--is seems to randomly work for some tasks and not others. The others still give the error that it cannot back up the "." folder and it stops on the error.

Do you have any other suggestions on how to fix this? This has been a HUGE headache.

I have seen all the other comments about trying to clone a disk, which I haven't even tried since just getting the scheduled tasks to run has been a big job.

8. PVSmith

Is there any chance that I could have a response to my posting of three days ago? This is such a big problem, it is probably slowing me down an hour every day just to run the backups that I used to run at night. This is a really big issue for me, and something that I didn't have to deal with using the other Acronis versions.

9. Acronis Support

Hello PVSmith,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

We have recently released a new build of Acronis True Image Home 2009, please download and install the latest build and see if the issue remains.. You can learn more on how to download the latest build here.

If the issue persists, please let us know your e-mail address via PM, we will create a case to troubleshoot the issue.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

10. PVSmith

I installed the new build and it did not fix the problem. I have sent you a PM with my email so we could try to troubleshoot this. If you can't see the PM, please just look up my registration for the product and you'll see my email. Thank you.

11. PVSmith

Again, could you please let me know what else I should be doing to fix this problem? I have not received a PM from you, or any other information, other than what is posted here.

I have deleted, recreated these tasks, and for whatever reason, the task continues to default to back up the System file folder ".". I can do nothing to keep this folder from backing up, and can do nothing to override the error that I get every time these tasks run.

If I don't hear from you soon, I will be forced to uninstall Acronis and find another backup software out there that is more reliable. I have used your software for five years, but the headache factor for the last month is getting to be pretty big.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.