How necessary is Spybot's Tea Timer or Resident IE program?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by RCGuy, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

How important or helpful is Spybot's Tea Timer or Resident IE program, or whatever it is that they are calling it these days? I know that a lot of people in general don't use or don't know about this program, and I know that everyone can't have every protection program there is....(or can they? o_O ....just kidding ;) ), but seriously, is this program a vital protection program or can folks generally do without it? The reason why I am asking is because this program confuses the heck out of me. o_O Half the stuff that they are asking me if I want to allow or deny, I have no idea what this stuff is. An example is ITBarLayout. At one point I allowed it registry access, however, one day I was using m-w.com(Meriam Webster's site) and for some reason, I kept getting Resident IE dialogue boxes popping up on top of each other on the right side of my screen saying something about a registry change having been allowed for ITBarLayout.(And then I went back in and denied it.) Also, today, the Resident IE box popped up asking me if I wanted to allow or deny a registry change for {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} and I kept closing the dialogue box because I had no idea what {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} was, but the dialogue box kept popping up until I told it to deny the registry change. In both cases, I had no idea what I had did and I was just thinking about how most people in general don't use this program and how apparently, ITBarLayout and {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} and other registry changes take place on a lot of other people's computers and it seems like no harm is done. Therefore, I'm just wondering if trying to keep up with some of this stuff that I don't understand is necessary, or if it's just a waste of time. Anyone have any comments?

P.S. BTW, I know that Spybot has it's own forum, but I just wanted to get some general feedback from Wilder's Security as to how necessary this program is.

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

It depends on your IE's configuration, like if you use scripting in Internet Zone, if you block cookies, referrers, flash and etc or if you use scripts, but you visit only trusted sites then you most likely do not need it. {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} is Spybot's BHO.

3. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Thanks for the info about the BHO, TheTOM_SK. Also, could you elaborate a little bit more about your first sentence? I'm not sure if I use scripting in Internet Zone, I do block some cookies, I don't know what referrers are, I use flash, and I don't visit only trusted sites.

4. TairikuOkami

I would say, that you should use Tea Timer. BTW, what other protection software do you use?

5. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

I have AOL Safety and Security Center which includes AOL's Spyware Protection and fully functional McAfee Virus Protection. Also I have:

Spybot - Search and Destroy

SpywareBlaster

SpywareGuard

RegCleaner(which I really don't understand how to use)

KLDetector

Ashampoo Anti-Spyware(trial version which I will probably discontinue after the trial period)

Trend Micro Anti-Spyware(free version)

Ewido Anti-Malware(free version)

A-squared(trial verison)

Ad-Aware SE Personal

ID-Blaster + Plus

WMPscriptfix

AnalogX Cookiewall

and I was just about to install

Trojan Remover(trial version)

6. TairikuOkami

You can try Spyware Terminator, it is most likely "the best" freeware AS with realtime.
    Give a shot to SuperAntispyware, it is a freeware ondemand AS, which is getting popular.
    CCleaner is also worth a try, it cleans junk and registry as well, it is pretty reliable and safe.
    By the way, with all that software you have, you do not need Spybot, check Winpatrol instead.

7. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Glad to hear that I don't need Spybot(actually, I never really did like it), but just to check, are you talking about the entire program or just the Tea Timer feature? Also, I do already have CCleaner, but didn't mention it because I didn't think of it as a protection program. By the way, thanks for the other recommendations. I will check those programs out.....and I'm particulary looking forward to trying out SuperAntispyware.

8. tansu

tansu Registered Member

Hi,
    I have no idea about Spyware terminator but it is currently listed in the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products list.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Spyware Terminator is de-listed and seems to be OK now.

10. TairikuOkami

In my opinion SuperAntispyware does the same job like AdAware + Spybot and you have also A-Squared and Ewido. I have never used Tea Timer, but based on this info, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard and some other realtime you have will do their job just fine. If you want process and DLL protection, Antihook is a good freeware HIPS. Intrusion-prevention system.

11. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Thanks for all the help, TOM.

12. bimbledwadle

bimbledwadle Registered Member

lol...you have got the whole world of ad+spyware+virus programs...I've got 3+my kids call me a cyberchondriac. I shall show them this thread. It surely can't be necessary to have so many. It is a tad obsessive. But god it made me laugh....:eek:

13. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I have spyware terminator and it as blocked many baddies such as 180websolutions and CWS and stopped them from even starting up when the computer was turned on.

14. bimbledwadle

bimbledwadle Registered Member

you've made me feel so much better....I was beginning to think I needed counselling. I will have to go + check out these things you've got though coz I live to scan..:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.