how necessarry is process guard?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by tobamore, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobamore

tobamore Registered Member

Hello,
    I am now using nod32 and tds3 concurrently (plus firewall and router) and I see that a few on here recommend process guard too. My question is, is pg really necessarry on my setup? (both tds3 & nod32 update daily) Bear in mind that previous to nod I was using nav 2004 and occasional tds3 scans (plus firewall & router) In other words, do I need to go to further expense and buy pg, or even, are there free equivalents to pg?

mtia

T.

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi

I will leave it to other's to explain why (if) you need Process Guard, i just want to tell you that there is a free version of Process Guard, it allows for one program to be protected. :)

3. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

There is a free alternative to Process Guard call System Safety Monitor. I can't speak for it's effectiveness because I don't use it. I use Process Guard. ;) (Tiny firewall has same ability as PG & SSM but it's not free, I use that on another machine)

Edit: The purpose of these type of programs is to protect other software processes (like your AV & FW) so malware can't modify/destroy/inject/shutdown these processes.

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I like my security programs. In fact, the only way you could take them away from me is prying them from my cold dead fingers! :D

But knowing what I do now (not much), if I had to choose only 2 security programs (this does not include alternate browser and email client), I would pick a good rules based firewall and Process Guard. This may and probably will change in the future as more AV/AT and other security apps learn self defense. But until then, PG is a good thing to have. Even then, PG will be able to protect vital system apps that the AV won't defend.
    It is like having an extra security guard watching the back door while all the other guards are protecting the front door.

SSM (System Safety Monitor) is the closest to PG but a little different in purpose.

Edit: Sorry, I just can't do it. I would have to have at least 3 security programs. :D
    Number 2 would be a reliable backup imaging program. Fortunately, I don't have to have just 3.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  5. se7engreen

I wonder when this thread will be moved... :)

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

12:30 PM GMT-6 Sept 10th :D

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Process Guard is designed to totally protect your processes from closure or change, no other program does this at the moment.
    Specifically it is designed to stop new malware such as rootkits, many rootkits cannot be stopped by normal firewalls, AV / AT methods as they work a a very low level within a system.
    Please read the full description found here:
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/
    For proof of your own vulnerability try this free tool Advanced Process Terminator: http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=products

HTH Pilli

8. se7engreen

To be clear, I'm not a fanboy of one product or the other, but I must point out that Tiny firewall does protect processes from closure, change, injection, etc. Of course PG is a specialized product while Tiny is more of a security suite, but Tiny still has the same fuctionality as PG (Tiny is just a whole lot more difficult to use ;) )
    TF has dominated APT since 5.5 (maybe earlier?).

Personally, I'm considering taking Tiny off of my main rig and using my PG license on that instead. Tiny is hardcore security, but I just don't have the time to give it the attention it needs. I'm thinking I just want fairly easy to use, flexible, functional security that just works, hence PG. :)

9. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

me too honestly, tf is way to bloated and too difficult. maybe when they will be releasing the windows security separate from the firewall it could be spending some time on my machine, but just like you I removed it hence the steep learning curve (I just don't not have enough time to use it properly :D )

I love processguard and it should be ON EVERY SYSTEM.

so important is this app.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.