How much have you spent on security applications?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Osaban, Dec 8, 2007.

?

How much have you spent on security applications?

1. Nothing, always freeware

53 vote(s)
    42.7%
  2. up to 200 US $

50 vote(s)
    40.3%
  3. between 200 and 500 US $

10 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. more than 500 US $

13 vote(s)
    10.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I buy just an antivirus (in the past it was a suit) . Windows Firewall comes for free with my Windows XP :D Built-in hardware firewall comes for free , too . I don't need anything else

2. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Thats so true. Now i am much more careful what i buy and use. Also i try before i buy anything! Wilders has helped a lot!

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Too much! I moved from product to product way too often this past year and as a result i have a licenses which i don't even use, very wasteful of me.

4. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Even if I count our backup/restore programs as 'security apps', our total expenses would still be under $200. Our largest single cash outlay was for Eset Smart Security (a couple of months ago), which turned out to be a waste of $60 because of the problems we have experienced with that buggy product. We just replaced it yesterday with Avanquest System Suite 8 (my husband won it, so perhaps that makes up for our bad investiment in ESS)! Btw, System Suite is working great so far (but it's only been a day). ;)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  5. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Ive tested everything quite thoroughly before purchasing and found at times that freeware turns out to be better than purchased software. I reckon ive got the perfect setup now using the 'best' software available and no wasted licences what so ever.

Still had to fork out quite a bit though

6. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

A major part in my personal deployment are 'freewares', the paid portions never goes more than USD50~.

And majority of security 'freewares' available does seems to be better & more than adequate, as compared to paid apps, imo!

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

If the poll reflects a trend among Wilders members, it shows that it is quite possible to protect a system with completely free applications or one shouldn't spend more than 200 US$ to equip a computer with the state of the art in computer security.

To confirm the trend of the paying party, if I had to buy a computer soon I'd probably spend about 200 dollars (including an imaging program, regardeless what the freeware supporters say, it is IMO the most important malware rescue solution, and doesn't come free).

For people advocating only the use of freeware, they should also realize that some kind of donation or buying every now and then would help keep those programmers alive to produce the freeware that so many people benefit from.

8. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I've been buying security products ever since I started using Norton Antivirus 5.0 and that's quite some time ago.

However these days I try as much as possible to get free products as they perform the same (and in some cases even better) as payed products.

9. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

$35 for 3 copies of KIS 6 in April, HUGE waste of money, I was able to sell off two licenses..

Since then I have been on a mission... LOL.. I'm finding out I don't have to spend a dollar and my security is the same if not even better..

I find the following worth looking to...

1. Firefox (noscript extension helps, so does Adblock plus)
    2. Avast Free
    3. AVG Free
    4. McAfee by Comcast Free (What I use now.. )
    5. Comodo fw is okay but a pain in the neck.
    6. Netgear Wireless Router.
    7. The only thing I paid for is Acronis 10 ($40)

After the KIS fiasco, it will take me a LOOOONNNNGGG Time before I decide to spend money on an AV. I trialed Antivir, but for $79.95 for 1 year for 2 users I will pass...

10. progress

progress Guest

Nothing, always freeware :shifty:

11. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

In the last year I bought a router for $50.
    The only programs that I can recall buying recently is Win Patrol. That was more than a year ago.
    I usually get by with freeware and beta programs.

12. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I just buy them through work - so nothing is the answer to the question!

13. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Between one and two hundred waste of my money for most.No regrets on sandboxie the best purchase I had every made and a lifetime license.Who says you cant have your cake and eat it two.

14. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

between 200 and 500 wich i consider more of donations/support then a must

Theres plenty of freeware, have received some free licenses over the years here n there for submitting small bugs or suggestions so i really dont need to purchase anythingh

15. Boost

Boost Registered Member

None,zero Nada :D
    No need to,long as you use your head,dont get caught up in the must have 10 or more security program paranoia that runs rapid on this site :argh:

16. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Considering 4 years, I wrote up 200, including the firewall router, KIS 2007 and a previous av. But I've been used SSM Pro free why I was translator, and many others security sw freeware, like CIS now.

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

When I bought my first Windows95 computer 11 years ago I was a total newbie, and spent more money on the latest AV's and AS's looking for the silver bullet. It wasn't until I found Wilders that I started learning from techies here and making wise decisions, which cost more money to dump some of the crap I accumulated and get a few of the best. When you figure it all out, we're looking between $300 and $400. My best investment by far is FD-ISR at $69.

18. tipo

tipo Registered Member

more than 500...& for what?my confidential data-stolen! :thumbd: i`m not crazy when i say..(look at my signature)

19. Dr33

Dr33 Registered Member

I bought all this this year :rolleyes:

Kaspersky internet security 3PC 2 years
    Nod 32 AV 12 PC 2 years
    Dr Web Space 2 PC Licenses 3 years
    Prevx Edge 5 PC 3 years
    F-Prot 10 PC 1 year

Edit 1 : Forgot Malwarebytes Antimalware :)

Edit 2 : Just added Avira Premium Suite 3 PC 3 years

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  20. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

In 2002, I bought NIS, and ditched it a few months later. Haven't spent a dime on security software since. Except for SSM Pro, which was free to the beta testers, I use free software exclusively.

21. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Voted "Nothing"...but it's not always freeware.

As an SMB consultant, I often use my NFR licenses for antivirus and UTM appliances.

22. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

How many PC's do you have?!

23. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I never pay for apps, except Windows, there are almost allways free alternatives, which are more than adequate. Now: Avira, PrevxCSI, Win Defender & Firewall.

24. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I don't particularly like the choices but I picked "up to 200 US $". I would never spend that much though; $79.95 is the total I have ever spent.

25. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Man your no security buff, you a collector :argh: :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.