How much do products like DW and SBXIE make?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Are there any figures on this? They're not huge projects like Norton, which can afford to market a ton. Do these devs just have jobs on the side or are they making some cash?

I'm always curious about this...

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The only way to know that is to ask them directly, I'm sure. And, I'm not sure you'd get a direct answer. That being said, considering they're basically one man shows, and that the products they develop are not in what we would think of as widespread use, I don't see how they wouldn't either already have to be well set or have jobs on the side. Especially Tzuk, whose work seems to never cease.

3. Hungry Man

Yeah, I don't think a ton of people use those. On Wilders, sure. I'm just kinda curious as to what they pull/ how many users have signed up.

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

If DW and SBIE were as popular in the outside World as they are here,then Ilya and Tzuk would be well set.Alas they're both very much niche products so I doubt either bring in the revenue the developers deserve.

Until the likes of Defensewall gain widespread recognition amongst "AV centric" users they'll not bring in big money.

My impression of SBIE is that it's a labour of love for Tzuk and much as I'd like to think he'll get rich from it I doubt it's the case.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The 64bit issue with DW has been ongoing for quite some time, with constant "coming soon" declarations. I really don't mean that against Ilya, hell, I have no clue what it takes to do it, and maybe the time and/or money just isn't there to do it yet.

As for Tzuk, yeah, this is one person who makes it crystal clear they believe in what they are doing.

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I think thier use is more widespread than one imagines. I have seen SBIE in particular on a great many forums and many articles written up, many reviews, many tutorials. Give-away sites and software-deal of the day sites. Download sites that are categorized, like majorgeeks etc.

That is not likely getting to large numbers like 8% of the netizens, but I think wilders is just one small place in the world, so if 500 of us have bought it, and we only make up say 5% of the total people who know about it, it could be a very well paying product.

Maybe, or maybe not ;)

Sul.

7. Hungry Man

Possibly... I've seen it mentioned on other forums but if there's anything I've learned it's that the internet really doesn't reflect the real world. Forum users are already going to be at least somewhat savvy, especially on a forum where software might be discussed.

I'm just very interested in what kind of figures they see.

8. andyman35

I actually edited my post because I saw a statement here from Ilya that he'd develop a 64bit version.However from what you say perhaps I was right first time.

9. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Unfortunately, SBXIE and DW do not earn what they really deserve.
    Sad but true, the majority of users ignores SBXIE and DW...:(

10. andyman35

Pure hypothesis here,but with a number of suites incorporating sandboxing technology I find it inconceivable that vendors haven't approached Tzuk to try and buy the best sandbox code out there.The fact that he hasn't just taken the money would speak volumes of his motivation if it were the case.

11. Hungry Man

Probably just cheaper/easier too build it themselves than to buy the product blind of its code and then try to incorporate it into their own.

Still, I know many projects get bought by other larger companies.

12. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Yeah, I've often thought about this particularly with SBIE. Ilya has a core DW community that pay year after year that probably see him OK. How Tzuk survives with his lifetime licence approach I can't work out but glad he does. It is such a poor business model but......

By the way I'd gladly pay every year for SBIE if your struggling Tzuk :D .

Like Sully I think we probably think this little crucible called Wilders is the only place these products thrive but that is likely untrue. I can't believe Tzuk in particular could do what he does without it generating an income from it but who knows other than the guys concerned, just grateful they do.

Cheers

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I Agree to 100% :thumb:

But yet we see requests for example Hitman Pro "how about a lifetime license?"
    Same for Panda Cloud AV "I will purchase when you have a lifetime license"

It's a suicide business model in my eyes :thumbd:

14. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Its very well possiable Tzuk may have more money then we can shake a stick at and maybe not.A lifetime license means nothing if a product will survive or die.Its not a lifetime warranty that may require repair or replacement.I hate yearly renewal fees but IMO SBIE and DW is worth it if it was required.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.