How many have still not installed SP2?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Matt_Smi, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I personally am still running SP1, I have just heard too many negative things about SP2, from problems to people's computer running slower than it did with SP1, I have also heard a lot of positive too but you know the negatives usually come though stronger than the positives. I am really happy with the way my computer runs and don’t want to compromise that (isn’t broke don’t fix it attitude I guess). I don’t plan on installing SP2 until I do a clean install, and who knows SP3 may be out by then. So who is still running SP1?

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I dont have it installed and i dont want it. The only thing in there that takes my fancy is the popup blocker. But i solved that by using the fabulous Maxthon to view I.E only pages.

I will not be installing it. And i hope microsoft doesnt try to do anything to make it compulsary to have.

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Applying SP2 on nice fresh Install of Windows XP seems to be the best way; I’ve on the other hand Installed SP2 on over 50 Machines now without the need of refreshing Windows XP install.

From all my thorough tests, SP2 shown to be faster than SP1 or even XP original, but there are cases where Installing SP2 on systems with Anti-Viruses or firewalls installed caused major slowdown. But there were ways around re-installing Windows XP or uninstalling SP2 to fix.

My brother on the other hand refuses to use SP2, he owns a large network, and he had troubles networking systems running Windows 98 after applying SP2.

4. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Nope...waiting for SP3 :D :p

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I've not had any problems with SP2 at all. A fresh install with a slipstreamed Windows CD really is the best way to go, however. Take a look at nLite for this, it not only helps you slipstream SP2, but also hotfixes, drivers, and lets you remove a variety of components for security and performance. The main thing you want to watch out for with SP2, if you decide to install it on an existing connection, is spyware. Installing SP2 on an infected machine can cause problems.

April 12th

Capp: As a consultant, isn't SP2 something you would want to be familiar with?

6. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

I definately don't want it. There are still as many horror stories on the boards as the first time it was released. No, thank-you. :rolleyes:

But there is hope, taken from www.aunty-spam.com;

"It is, however, true that the update cannot be forced on you if you are not running Automatic Update or Windows Update".

7. Can't Tell

Can't Tell Guest

Hi

Read many threads and sites about that...

If I understand it correctly, having SP2 installed will allow one to run Automatic Windows Update as before

Not having SP2 installed will mean Automatic Updates won't longer be possible.

However, Manual Updates will continue to work even if SP2 is not installed, and SP2 won't be forced onto anybody.

Rgds

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You might want to do a little more research. If you do not have sp2 installed by the 12th you will not be able to use the update site at all.

bigc

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  9. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I have MS Updates turned off...for no particular reason....I'm not MS Paranoid or anything....but when I go for a looksee at 'Updates'....it appears, that unless I 'Allow' MS to Update whatever they like, I cannot pick and choose which Updates I prefer to D/L like I used to...the way it seems to me now is one has to have 'All or Nothing'??.....What I find a little disturbing also,
    is that a lot of the so called Updates CANNOT be deleted once they're on your OS!! should they cause you some prob....What's that all about?.....I can't say I'm in favour of 'Hobsons Choice'......since when did Updates become a NON-OPTION?......It makes me Kind of nervous with regard to trusting these people to be in 'Control', so to speak, of my best interests.......

Cochise, :cool:

10. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I have SP2 install on my machine (XP Home) since 3 months now, with no
    problem whatsoever. :)

At the time of installation, my PC was perfectly clean. I never had any Virus or Trojan for the last 8 years anyway. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.