How long your motherboard lasts?

Discussion in 'polls' started by sweater, Apr 17, 2008.

?

How long your motherboard lasted?

1. More than 6 months

7 vote(s)
    6.0%
  2. More than 1 year

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. More than 2 years

12 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. More than 3 years

38 vote(s)
    32.5%
  5. More than longer than anyone could expect it.

54 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Just wonderin, how many months or yrs your motherboard in your desktop pc lasts before it breaks down and become unusable? o_O

Coz mine, lasted bout 3yrs before it automatically turns off while playin music on my pc...and couldn't power anymore, then pc technician says "you need a new motherboard". :oops:

although I just use my pc for home use, 3-5 hrs a day most of the time. ;)

The Motherboard is Gigabyte brand.

2. RAD

RAD Registered Member

I have a computer with a 10-year old motherboard that still runs fine. I did a BIOS reflash and CPU upgrade about 2 years ago.

3. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

MSI KT3Ultra2 (VIA KT333+VT8235) bought in december 2002 still working capacitors in good order and was used in gaming around 8-14 hours a day usually at least 16 hours on per day.Chaenged on it 2 procesors ,4 video cards ,6 sticks of ram 3 hard-drives ,6 optical drives,3 PSU -s.5 years of satisfaction and at this moment i can play in low details Crysis at a minimum fps.
    Anyway the upgrade time has come.
    I also own a Gigabyte nforce2 "bought" some time ago from a friend and its used as dummy computer for software experiments.Gigabyte are known for reduced durability due to poor VRM modules and parts.I can hear from it when its stressed all kinds of wining sounds due to the coils.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I had ASUS A7V600 for years and it survived everything along with other components, unlike LG DVD-RW drivers, which malfuctioned when their warranty expired.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well my old viglen computer running windows 95 still works perfectly.

6. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Mine is approaching 10 years old and has run 24/7 for several years now. The only components that have worn out are the floppy and CD drives. I've only had one motherboard fail and that was an old Win95 box that was on its last legs when I got it.

7. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Mine's still sputtering along after almost 6 years.

snowbound

8. cortez

cortez Registered Member

Put in in extra fans and the mobo will last much longer in my experience, (I2 bucks or so for an additional tower fan).

Don not forget to cool off the ram and hard drives separately--20 to 24 bucks at most: well worth it and easy to install oneself.

9. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Yes this is the same with my Elitegroup K7S5A, still in top form.
    MSI K8 Neo4 top condition(except floppy-error due to bios-update, board refreshed yesterday, still in top condition), I will check your complaints about Gigabyte, I recently bought one, actually it works seamless.:D

10. sweater

What's the brand of your motherboard? o_O

Gosh, the pc store people here told me that most motherboards only lasts for a year, and was shock to learn that yours lasted to go for 10yrs. Very tough. :ninja:

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Whoever told you a motherboard only last's a year doesn't know what they are talking about. They are built to last for many years under decent conditions,

12. searaider

searaider Registered Member

Almost 2 years and a half, sometimes 24 hours a day, Asus P5WD2

13. sweater

But I was also thinkin that maybe the climate is one of the factor involved why your motherboard lasts long compared to mine. You lived in a colder climate country and I am in the Philippines where climate changes can be instant...hot, very hot and rainy and very wet season...and no ice rain. :D

Our home is not airconditioned, we only uses electric fan during hot season. So I think, it could not be very enough to maintained temperatures inside the casing and motherboards could not lasts long if the environment is always hot...then suddenly rains pour down in an instant like magic. shuck!!! Can you imagined that? the sudden change in temperature. :argh:

14. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Yes, climate is a factor. Heat and humidity have a negative impact on the pc/components. As you live in an airconditioned house these factors are not relevant in your case.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I still have a very stable O/C 5% PC Chips M810L i have tortured to bits with adding/running various different hard drives if that has any bearing on matters, and it will soon be 5 years this ole Mobo is stood the test of time.

And frankly i'm amazed myself. I have even flashed the BIOS a few times just within the past season of winter and it still is chugging along.

If i ever find another of this particular Revision, maybe on Ebay, i will definitely buy it.

16. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I have one of these too (knock on wood). There are very few M810Ls which can be considered reliable. Most M810Ls boards are a piece of crap: leaking caps, broken VRMs, faulty IDE ports, etc.

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

We must be one of those lucky ones then, eh?

At least so far, mine is that morbid Revision 9 with both CPU and Memory Chip soldered on-board, if that memory chip goes all i can do i guess is load the remaining socket or else prepare it for the rubbish bin. :cool:

But if some of these were made to last, this HAS to be one of them for certain. LoL

18. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I think so.

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I suppose.

I have other units with other motherboards so lately been using those units instead to try and spare some distance-to-zero for the PC Chips one, i know it can't possibly go on that indefinitely so giving it a break might preserve things awhile longer.

Only item to go belly up on it is been the Power Supply and Fan, now with those two moveable components outlasting the mobo itself so far, i feel like theres plenty of time still left on it.

20. Carver

Carver Registered Member

My old computer is a 1998 Dell Dimension XPS R450 with a Seattle BX 440 Motherboard, the motherboard is about 10 years old. The computer started out Windows 98/98SE upgraded to Windows XP SP2. Runs good still, right now I use it as a backup computer. My new computer has a 2002 Asus A7V333 Motherboard runs good too, about 6 years for the motherboard and no problems.

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  21. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

I live just below you [and a bit to the right] in tropical northern Aus, and experience all the same conditions as you, also no air-conditioner, and ad to that a dodgy [at best] power supply lots of brown outs, cuts, spikes etc., dead MoBo's and other hardware are way to common here. A good UPS helps against the dodgy power but nothing helps with the humidity and heat during the wet season, except maybe an air-conditioner but our electricity bill is already too big without that added to it.

22. rarebeast

rarebeast Registered Member

I've been using my computer for 4 years now and theres not a single problem with it :)

23. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I have computers going back to the late 1980s/early 1990s that are still operational (AMI Enterprise III Series 68 i80486 motherboard with 83MHz Pentium OverDrive, Amiga 2000 with GVP 68040 CPU card, HP100LX Palmtop and so forth).

Right now, I am in the process of upgrading my desktop to SuperMicro C2SBX-based system. Old system was based on an Intel D975XBX2 motherboard, which was about two years old.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

24. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

My system's somewhere around 5 yrs. old now, with no hints of trouble (yet, knock wood) from the mobo. Intermittent problems recognizing disks in the floppy and DVD drives (both of which are similarly semi-antique), but due to the similarity in problems that's most likely the drives themselves and/or cables, not the mobo.

Who the heck's your (sweater's) "genius" who thinks a year or less is normal??

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  25. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Asus, P4B still going strong at nearly 6 years. As long as electrolytic caps aren't leaking goo and the board is run fairly cool, there's no reason why it should not last > 5 years. Other factors, of course, play a significant role in the m/boards life, too, such as power supply quality and power surges, to name a few, but they should last a very long time under the right environment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.