How long will you last with Windows 8?

Discussion in 'polls' started by berryracer, Oct 30, 2012.

?

How long have Windows 8 lasted on your PC or are you planning to keep it?

1. 2 hours or less!

21.8%
  2. 8 Hours

3.4%
  3. 1 Day

5.7%
  4. 1 week

10.3%
  5. 1 month

8.0%
  6. It's a keeper! I like it and will continue to use Win8

50.6%
  1. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

looks like we got two extremes in here.
    Extreme 1 - 8 hours. Seems like these people find MS shoveling up our throats Metro and lack of Start menu completely ridiculous and they remove 8 ASAP
    Extreme 2 - Keepers, seems like these guys might or might not like metro but either way the find ways to work around it.

I have to say I belong to the first group. I find that lack of Start menu, lack of classic non flashy desktrop and forceful integration of Metro a complete B.S. I don't think users should compromise just because MS feels something is appropriate.

I honestly think that Windows 9 will change things around. M.S. is just using Windows 8 as an alpha version for future 9 releases. The same thing happened with Vista.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I sure hope you're right, because if not, I will probably be moving to something else altogether by then..... that'll be it for me.

3. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    Forever. 7 was not horrible, just not my cup of tea. I like how I can visually see what I need and not fumble around for 100,000 different things. Metro isn't bad either, though it does take getting used to.

The apps will grow in time and will fill more of my needs as well. I'd never downgrade to W7 at this point.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Something like that would be really hard for me. I'm so used to Windows that it's hard for me to switch. :D

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It's very hard for me too, that's why I haven't switched over 100% yet... But if it came to that, and I had to, I could.... So we'll see...

6. ght1

ght1 Guest

I like it and will continue to use Win8. ;)

7. guest

guest Guest

What a horrible future that would be ... like in HELL! :gack: - Imagining living in a house with thin walls where all neighbors are constantly talking to their screens and also you would have to listen in public not only to people talking to smartphones anymore which is bad enough already. - Thanks, but no thanks!

The only future for ME is a stationary laptop with MS natural keyboard (that is if they behave and Win9 is again much better suited to my needs than 8 ) and a mouse (btw. all with cables please, no useless wireless ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ that has no battery life left always on weekends!). No frigging touch or talk crap PLEASE, thank you! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
  8. mechBgon

mechBgon Registered Member

What's your view on third-party UI add-ons that revert Win8 to a mostly-classic UI? e.g. Classic Shell, StartIsBack, Start8. I went that route myself, for home and at work (SOHO-type environment). Win8 security advances, Win7ish UI (with a few exceptions).

If the poll choice were limited to Win8 in its native form, then I would pass, both for myself personally and for business use. I'll spare you all my laundry list of what's wrong with Win8 in its native form; you've heard it before anyway ;) But given how tractable it is with a third-party fix, I'll still vote "Keeper."

9. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Presuming I used some kind of loader to get rid of metro, I'd be interested in upgrading to windows 8 for performance gains based on what I've seen from friends running the new OS on old hardware. Even so, I remember reading folks were having hardware/firmware issues after upgrading, which has be a bit leary about upgrading. Realistically though, I'm hoping windows 9 will stick to traditional windows and give users the ability to hide and access metro maybe from a widget or scroll-out sidebar. Just my two cents.

To answer the prompt:
    As it stands, I would probably last 2 seconds with metro out of the box. I'd probably stick with the operating system until 9 presuming what I said above.

10. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I used it for about 2 weeks. Found it awful, totally because of Metro UI (conveniently renamed to "Modern" UI :cautious:).

I would surely prefer a decent Service Pack bringing the core enhancements of Windows 8 to Windows 7.

11. er34

er34 Guest

I have been using Windows 8 on my main home laptop since it was released RTM (August 2012). I have done this just to learn it and to know it better because I supposed I had to support it.

But it has been 7 or more months - I am not aware of single business user (small or big) who has upgraded to Windows 8. Additionally, I persuaded some home users to upgrade to Windows 8 - they did it but they do not want/need support :)

I use Windows 7 at work and it is what makes me comfortable - the Start menu and the Desktop - I work better and faster with them. At home I also use my computer for work but the Metro makes me work slowly. Changing between the interfaces is annoying and time consuming.

I already learned it - Windows 8 - I notice its security and speed (booting) enhancements but seeing nobody uses it - I start to ask myself why should I use it, too. Being a security guy there are may be 100 positive security and non-security reasons I should use but I can also find 100 negative reasons not to use it.

What people use now is Windows 7, then Windows XP. Windows Vista is only used by enterprises who still haven't upgraded. [Windows XP remains the easiest for me to support - I believe]. If the Netmarketshare data (publushed recently) is correct, Windows 8 is used by less people that Vista [Vista is not that good - to be kind] - Windows 8 seems to have no future if Microsoft don't return few good things to the Desktop OS . Desktop machines/PCs are not dead and will not die soon. This tablet/smartphone hysteria is just a long moment - it will end. Desktop/laptop machines is what will survive at the end.

I have tried to use tablet and tablet OS - I used Android ones for 2-3 months, I used Apple's iPad for 1 month, I used Windows 7/8 tablet for 2 months.
    Android and iOS [iPad] is crap which I cannot imagine to use for anything other than very very simple news readings/surfing [only if there is wi-fi Internet access]. There are no apps and they are very difficult to use. The Windows tables are fine but still not something I will use permanently - Windows based tables are OK just because you can easily plug in docking/keyboard/mouse and use some known standart applications.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2013
  12. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

A definite keeper for me! - At least until what comes after! ;)

13. guest

guest Guest

I installed it, took one look at the UI and bloat and reformatted the drive
    don't remember how long it tooko_O

14. guest

guest Guest

Upps :eek: ... I guess I was so mad again about windows 8 disaster that I wasn't thinking straight. :D - Of course I do hate also laptops and netbooks (because of bad keyboard attached to their screen and almost zero maintainability) and all those mobile little gadget things that I don't need or like ... what I do LOVE and use until the end of my life is ONLY (!) so called stationary DESKTOP systems (silent midi tower under the table which I can upgrade easily) with a real keyboard (not attached to any screen) and a mouse, bought in single pieces after reading for weeks tests and reviews and then finally assembled by myself. That's what I want. No matter what marketing divisions "decide" is modern or hip or whatever.

So future is for ME not stationary laptop but .. [MOVE]DESKTOP ONLY[/MOVE] ;) - Take that, tablet loving industry! :D

Whether I will still run windows or maybe after win7 "soon" linux on that future desktop system is entirely up to MS. If they do force me to use tablet touch "optimized" crap GUI I am switching camps. :p

15. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Oh my, more annoying rants.

16. guest

guest Guest

If *the* MS fanboi is howling I always know I am on the right track, so thanks for the feedback. :p

17. Wild Hunter

Right track to nowhere? I have some doubts that the "tablet loving industry" cares about your rants. :p

As for me, I'm not howling, I'm laughing. :D

18. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I'll be on Windows 8 until the next version is out, and then, depending on how I like that version, I'll probably switch to that one.

19. guest

guest Guest

That's fine and it will be their demise thinking of desktop users as obsolete. :D

Yeah ... right .. and we believe that, sure! :D

But you forgot a dementi when I called you *the* MS fanboi. :D - That's a step in the right direction I would say. Maybe you will soon even enter a self-help group? :thumb:

20. Wild Hunter

Being called "MS fanboi" makes me smile/laugh too. :D

21. Wild Hunter

And that *the*. That *the* means I'm particularly remarkable for you? lol

22. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Let us all remember that the topic of this thread is "How long will you last with Windows 8?"

As soon as you feel the need to post about someone "ranting" or someone else being a "fanboi" - that is where you are going off track.

Listen, you can talk about the product all you want - love it or hate it. And, talk about its features - whether it has them or not. Say if you'll use it or never will, it's all good... But, just don't start talking about the other people posting in the thread. Once you start bashing at each other, the thread is over.

Now, back on topic please...

23. Wild Hunter

Sure.

Sorry guest. :p

On topic: I don't know for how long I'll last with W8.

24. guest

guest Guest

Me too. :cool:
    Sorry Wild Hunter. :p

Yeah, back on topic: I really believe - no kidding here - I would rather like to die than having to deal with W8 each day on my desktop system (and puking all the time, throwing things etc. and behaving generally more like the monkey that touch-me OS seems to be made for. :D ).

So my final answer to the original question was and still is: not so long. :D

Btw. thank you LWM very much for NOT closing this thread (so far)! I wouldn't want to be the culprit for taking away from people a thread to vent their anger about that abysmal OS disaster. :D - And I believe that Redmond needs to hear it all day long from as many people as possible, hope dies last! :D

25. guest

guest Guest

Thank you:thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.