How long will you last with Windows 8?

Discussion in 'polls' started by berryracer, Oct 30, 2012.

?

How long have Windows 8 lasted on your PC or are you planning to keep it?

1. 2 hours or less!

21.8%
  2. 8 Hours

3.4%
  3. 1 Day

5.7%
  4. 1 week

10.3%
  5. 1 month

8.0%
  6. It's a keeper! I like it and will continue to use Win8

50.6%
  1. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

The question is not whether you tried it, but how long did you try it for? What did you use for test examples? Speech recognition isn't widely used for one specific reason: Computers are terrible at it. Language is extraordinarily complex and understanding words is only a tiny part of being able to recognize and interpret the language. Things like noise around the speaker, body language, written verses spoken, speaking style and even sex of the person needs to be taken into consideration. There is even more to it, but you get my point I'm sure. Voice recognition has to work across all cultures as well, whether simply a foreign language, "slang", accents or words used in only certain areas. As an example, spend some time in Baltimore. They speak perfect English, but the pronunciations of certain words are entirely different. Voice recognition has to account for that. This is why Siri has such problems ((well, one of the reasons at least.)).

2. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Im surprised we got so many people keeping that horrible OS :rolleyes: How in the world can anyone get used to it? :blink:

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

By keeping it more than two hours on their systems and take the time to learn something I suppose.

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i bought it a few days ago and it has now replaced Win 7 on my machine.

took me quite a few tries to get used to it.
    once you get used to it Metro is fine.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Yes, I do, however, just because there are present difficulties in voice recognition, it doesn't mean that these obstacles won't be eliminated in the future. I look at new technologies, not as a hindrance, but as an opportunity to learn new methods and techniques. In my opinion, Windows 8, specifically for tablets and phone, will take Microsoft in a new direction, and whether that's good or bad, only time will tell.

To answer your first 2 questions: I'm presently using Windows Speech Recognition in my Win7 laptop and have been doing so for more than a year, mainly working with Microsoft Office. The learning curve was steep, yet well worth it for me. Anyone else's mileage will vary. ;)

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I can't see that in business environments at all. The keyboard will be around for a long time I think. Can you imagine a large room full or desks and office workers all talking to their computers? I suppose it's possible, but somehow it doesn't seem too likely... But then again, who knows.... :)

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Kerodo, they are all talking into their cellphones already! :ouch: Besides, the Star Trek allure of talking to your computer is a powerful motivator. ;) :D

All kidding aside, I believe there is a place for desktops in business and that might not change as fast as what we are seeing with tablets and phones.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Haha.. good point, I forgot about the phones.... Well, I don't know. I hope keyboards stay around for a while. I guess I'm old fashioned... Whatever happens, it sure will be interesting to see in the next decade or so.... Probably some things coming that we can't even imagine now. :)

9. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

If only Star Trek tech could apply in other areas :D We'll see what the year 2500 brings us. Don't get me started on the "BYOD" move. IT departments and security professionals have spoken on that disaster waiting to happen.

10. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Certainly it'll improve with time, provided the interest is there. That it wouldn't ever wasn't meant to be implied. There are just so many factors to overcome, and it doesn't seem to be a priority at the moment. As far as Windows 8 goes, I simply don't enjoy it after attempting to try it. However, I am on a desktop at home and my mobile devices are Apple. Windows 8 should work very well for mobile devices. It is the desktop where I think Microsoft has, well, "made a wrong turn at Albuquerque"?

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Don't know about you, but I can't wait for the Minority Report hologram interface. :)

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I agree 100% for mobile, and for the desktop, since Windows 7 will be around until 2020, there is always Windows 9 or 10. ;)

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I'll go for that... :)

14. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

For me it lasted max 1 week (actually 3 weeks) because I tested the last beta, the preview and the rtm.

I was trying to decide if buying 2-3 licenses for future use but it just does not convince me.
    On this OS release there are two things that bother me.

First that someone from the marketing has already decided for me how I want to use my machines desktop,laptops,tablets. And he/they decided that I want to start and end a session, with the metro interface on all my machines.... well I don't!
    On my desktop I want to start/end on the classic menu interface (the missing start button is not much of a problem), and every now and then when I want a change to go to the metro and play with the apps there.
    On my laptop the same, but I would also like the option to start/end from the metro when I'm on the road, or in bed."
    On the tablet I would use the rtm so only metro there.(using touch in a classic interface is a pain in the ...)

Second thing that bothers me, maybe at the same degree, is that microsoft has released a horde of reviewers, bloggers and commentators (1 billion in advertising), to convince me (not only me but all the others that have the same preferences to mine) that I'm wrong and they know better on how an OS should serve me. Guess what? they didn't convinced me and actually irritated me so much that I decided to "throw away" another 400-500€ with the 87€ that I would spend for 3 licenses and buy me another tablet (either a nexus 10 or a iPad mini).

As for windows I'll wait for the 9 and if the way microsoft treats "me" won't change, I'll move completely to apple and instead of 2macs and 3pcs, I'll have 3macs since the pcs won't serve me anymore....

sorry for the rant,
    Panagiotis

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  15. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

I love Windows 8. A while back, I installed the Consumer Preview on my laptop on a whim, just to see what it was like. I liked the speed boost, the new flat theme, and BitLocker but I wasn't sold on Metro.

Eventually, though, I started to really warm up to Metro. You see, I used to use Fences on my Windows computers. It's an application that basically groups your desktop icons into categories. I liked it because of the organization, but disliked it because it cluttered my desktop and obscured my wallpaper. Metro is basically the best of both worlds for me: I can group my icons as I see fit, and it appears and disappears with a press of the Windows key.

I appreciate the new security features as well. There's a lot that I like about Windows 8... it seems like a step above Windows 7, in my opinion.

I'm pretty adverse to change by the way. I used the Windows Classic theme from XP onward because it reminded me of Windows 98. But hey, Metro improves my workflow and it honestly looks pretty good imo.

So I'm happy with 8. I bought a license for my desktop and my laptop. I actually ditched Fedora in favor of 8 and don't regret it. :p

16. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Bitlocker was introduced with 7 not 8.

What I don't get is that initially you weren't "sold" on metro but eventually is the feature that you like the best? o_O

And you ditched fedora for 8 (what do they have in common except being OSes to ditch one for the other, you know that you can dual boot right)? o_O

17. Fox Mulder

BitLocker was introduced with 7, but only in Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise. I had neither, so this was my first introduction to this feature.

I wasn't sold on Metro because I've used a Start Menu for many years, so I figured it would be horrible. I changed my tune after using it for some time. I now find it snappy and convenient.

As for the Fedora comment: I'm a long time GNU/Linux user, and Fedora is my favorite distribution. So for me, it was a big thing to switch away from it. I'm not a fan of dual booting, it just irks me. I'll still have Fedora in a VM though. :D

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

not at all a huge fan but i will be using it. main reason is because i need to know it inside out since i work on systems every day. i cant say i totally hate it or even totally dislike it. im not a fan but i dont dislike it. i installed it on my own personal system today and have used it since the beginning on and off i will be updating some of my systems to it and keeping some on windows 7.

its sadly progress as they want to call it and most people will upgrade just because its the newest version. they claim they have sold more than 4 million copies already and this is selling at a faster rate than windows 7 did...

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I'll wait a couple months until most apps are Metro ready to avoid any PITA when using my regular apps.
    I don't like the new GUI but i'll give it a chance to see if i can get used to it. If not . . . i'll keep W7. :D

20. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Speech recognition has been around for a long time. I had it on my 98 unit for a while quite a few years ago. As appealing as the idea of voice control might seem, I didn't find it that useful. That said, I wasn't thinking in terms of it replacing the keyboard with it either.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That could take years, if it does indeed happen at all.....

22. Fox Mulder

For what it's worth, I haven't had any real conflicts with Metro apps and desktop apps.

23. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I had it installed for a few months. I deleted it yesterday from my virtual machine. I plan to stick with Windows XP (virtual machine) for a while longer.

24. encus

encus Registered Member

I don't have plan to upgrade to it in this very near time.

25. Sir paranoids

Sir paranoids Registered Member

less then 2 sec

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.