How long will 3.15.0 be supported?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Mele20, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Re: PG final version ?

How long will 3.15.0 be supported? The help file for this new version won't open for me plus I have other problems with the GUI so I want to know how long we will be able to use 3.15.0.

2. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I'm not sure what you mean by supported. The only way we can fix problems that exist in 3.150 is to release a new version. When 3.300 goes final remove PG completely and all lists, install and learn the new version and see how you go. It should be better than ever :)

The new version may not even have a help file included in the beta, I'm not sure I didn't build it, but I can check :) In any case its still a beta. The help file needs to pop up when you press F1 too which it doesn't seem to for me..

3. Gavin - DiamondCS

You can keep the 3.150 installer but if it doesn't work exactly right at some point the only answer support can possibly give will be to use the new version, which fixes known problems. There are many problems resolved now ! Have you tried 3.300 beta 2 from a clean install ? (sorry, its hard to keep up with who has and hasn't)

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

The beta does have a help file. I can't view it though on my host machine (which is a new computer) as Firefox downloads it over and over. So, I created a new virtual machine (with the same OS) and I can view it just fine on that machine. Turns out though that once I looked at it more than just a cursory glance that I realized it is the old help file. Plus, I can't access it via F1 either...just via clicking on the button. I sure hope when the new help file is available with the new PG that it will open properly on my main, host computer (instead of Firefox wanting to download it over and over).

Yes, I've done a clean install of the latest beta on both my host computer and my newly created virtual computer on VMWare Workstation 5.5. Both computers have the same OS. The beta works fine on the virtual machine. It has problems on the host machine. There are minimal programs installed on the virtual machine and no Microsoft patches installed. Just a bare bones machine with XP Pro SP2. On the host machine the beta has problems. I think it is a conflict with my video driver. But this is still a beta. Maybe everything will be fine in the official version.

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

Why would Firefox want to download the help file ? that is your PC configuration, nothing to do with PG itself

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have no idea why Firefox wants to download the help file over and over. :D If I knew why, I would stop it from doing that!

I have made IE7 beta my default browser instead of Firefox. I just clicked on Help in the PG GUI and guess what? Firefox, which is NOT the default browser, opened and presented me with a download box for the help file!

I have the latest official version of Fx on both my host machine and my XP Pro SP2 virtual machine. Fx does not try to download the help file on the virtual machine. It just opens it like it should. The ONLY difference between the two computers is that the virtual one has NO Microsoft security patches. I suspect one of those HTMLHelp security patches last year from MS is somehow messing up Firefox and making it try to download the help file over and over. That is a far fetched conclusion but it is the only difference between the two computers.

It really doesn't matter if this is per say a PG problem or not as I can't use PG if Fx wants to download the helpfile instead of letting IE, which is the default browser, open it.

I just created a NEW Fx profile in case mine was corrupted and that was the problem. The same thing happens in the new profile!

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Here's a pic of what happens.

Attached Files:

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Have you checked your file associations recently? The default program for a CHM file is the Microsoft HTML Help Executable, but Firefox is listed on my machine as a recommended one as well.

Blue

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Wow, are you the man of the day! That was it. I can't believe it though. This computer is one month old and I have NOT checked the file associations until just now and I have made no changes that I know of to the default file associations except for some files that would usually open in WMP and I set them to use Winamp.

I have been wracking my brains about this for a couple of weeks. I asked in the Fx forum at dslreports and at Mozillazine Fx forum. I got no replies. I know I didn't change that association. So how the heck did that happen? Ah well....mystery I suppose. I am just glad that is solved! And it was my computer and not anything to do with with MS patches, etc. I am glad it was my computer rather than some hairy bug that DiamondCS would have to try and figure out.

EDIT: How come only the help file for PG was affected? The file association for all CHM files was set to Fx so why weren't other help files affected?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I assume it is related to how the help file is invoked by the program, sort of like what happens when you double click a file from within Explorer (this will invoke the action defined by the association, let's just say you launched spreadsheet.xls) versus loading it with a targeted application (in this case executing "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE "spreadsheet.xls"" as an articulated command).

Blue

11. Gavin - DiamondCS

Yes its just a plain ShellExecute pehelp.chm, which relies on the association to be correct. Some programs specifically open hh.exe with its help file as a parameter hh.exe help.chm. I guess we could do this, but CHM should not be associated with Firefox..

Did you download a help file ? :D must be how it happened..

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Nope. I didn't download the help file. I just installed 3.3b2 and when I clicked on the help file Fx popped up and gave me that download box and did so every time I clicked on Help. Then I installed 3.3b3 yesterday just before Blue posted in this thread. I clicked on the help file in the new beta and the same thing happened. I have no idea how Fx got associated with chm files. It is a mystery I guess I'll never figure out.

It probably will never happen to anyone else, but I sure would have more hair (I pulled out quite a bit) on my head if you had made this to not rely on the association to be correct. I have opened a lot of help files while the association has been to Fx and yours is the only one that had a problem. It never occured to me to check file associations (1) because I had not changed any except a few music files and (2) only your help file was causing Fx to try and download it instead of opening. Since other help files opened just fine, it didn't occur to me that something might be wrong with the file associations although I suppose I should have checked anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.