How long will 2.7 be available and supported?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ssj100, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssj100

ssj100 Guest

So just how long will version 2.7 be available and supported for?

ESET must be one of the few AV programs where you can still freely use and access older versions that are still fully functional and that still update smoothly.

Marcos or any of the other Moderators care to comment please? I am still happily using version 2.7 after going back and forth from version 3.0 and 4.0 like a ping pong ball. Version 4.0 unfortunately causes significant slow down (which is probably necessary and suggests I need an even more powerful system to run it without slow downs) when compared with version 2.7.

Thanks.

2. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Although I use version 3.0 of ESET NOD32 Antivirus, I wonder this too. The forum section dedicated to NOD32 v2 is really quiet compared to the v3/v4 forum. The first page of threads in v3/v4 date back to just yesterday whereas the first page of threads in v2 date back to almost one month ago. I guess this could be because most people have migrated to v3/v4, and the v2 users remaining are using a version that has been out for years so its bugs have been patched for quite some time.

v2 is the only version that supports Windows 95/98/ME and although these 3 operating systems combined probably only account for 1% of the total Windows marketshare at most, that's still potentially a couple 100,000 customers and a lot of money for ESET. Also, I read somewhere on this forum that a lot of server environments use 2.7 still for their own reasons like greater stability.

I think a thread was made about this issue just a few weeks ago and someone said that the only thing that will kill v2.7 is time. v2.7 is solid now, but eventually harmful malware threats will be just too complex for v2.7 to handle and users will be more or less forced to upgrade to v3/v4.

I can see that you're using v2 and that you're worried it's going to be discontinued (you made a poll regarding which version ESET NOD32 Antivirus users use). v2 is being supported and is fully capable of handling threats today. v3/v4 expands on the ability to handle threats and also has a much improved GUI. If I were you, in the near future, I would test v4. If v4 doesn't work for you (too much slowdown etc. - it's still a new release so has these problems with some users) then try v3. If v3 doesn't work for you either (it should), go back to v2 for now.

If you do decide to upgrade to v3/v4 from v2, you should probably do a clean install of v3/v4 to avoid help avoid any potential problems:

1. Click this link and download (save) the file of ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3/v4 to your Desktop.
    2. Remove your current ESET NOD32 Antivirus installation
    -->Start>All Programs>ESET>ESET NOD32 Antivirus>Uninstall .
    -->Restart your computer.
    -->Delete the ESET folder located in C:\Program Files\
    3. Double click the install file of ESET NOD32 Antivirus on your Desktop and install it using typical (recommended) settings. Let it update to the latest virus signature database. There's no real tweaking you need to do because the default settings are the recommended settings.

Just my input. Hopefully someone can answer your question and provide a date.

Regards,

Mark.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  3. Capp

Capp Registered Member

There have been no mentions or speak of discontinuing version 2.7 anytime in the near future.

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Yes....in addition, there are lot of Microsoft Exchange Servers out there in the world. So if they want Eset for protection, you use XMON..which is version 2.7, thus cannot have 3.0 or 4.0 on the servers..but still 2.7.

5. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

I can tell you with 100% certainty that it will be supported on 04/06/2009.

6. ddxmilano

ddxmilano Registered Member

Forever Man,,, ALWAYS SUPPORTED,,,
    database today Nod32 V2.7 : 3999

7. prasid

prasid Registered Member

It seems to me NOD32 v2.7 never close! In this software have no any problem and run very fine. Protection power is always greater than [another AV]

8. ddxmilano

ddxmilano Registered Member

Database Now : 4000

V2.7 is da best man,,,

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

You know, while i do like the new look and extra features of 3 & 4 respectively, it's really very hard for me to latch on to either of those as much as 2.7 i've grown so accustomed to. The prompts in 3 & 4 are really advanced in a manner of speaking but so far i found 2.7 much more responsive and that may very well be because i;m still a XP Pro user waiting on Windows 7 because Vista was and never appealed to me in comparison.

EASTER

10. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

I'm not getting my hopes up about Windows 7. I've been reading a gob about Windows 7 for the last 3~4 months. Many experts and laymen alike are calling Windows 7 nothing more than Vista with a new paint job. Been waiting to get my trial run. I reckon it's going to be as big a flop as Vista.

11. pgrasey

pgrasey Registered Member

Another reason to support NOD32 2.7 is its ability to support USB / portable installation. This is very handy on Netbooks that do not support internal CD-ROM.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Indeed it was well written and preprogrammed. The problem all vendors are experiencing i think is just when they are still trying to level out Vista compatibility in their current programs to dual serve XP & Vista, along comes another challenge in Windows 7 for them thats going to cost them even more time, effort, and resources and leave them likely with no choice but to leave XP behind for good. Just when they were right on top of their best game or features & programming.

2.7 is still a favorite of mine but i know it will take a lot of effort and even more time to reach the same level with 4 that made 2.7 so very reliable and popular amongst many AV users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.