How is superantispyware?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cheater87, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I, also, have attributed the lack of "traffic" in the SAS support forum to the lack of many problems. Considering the problems one sees with Spysweeper it is surprising that a new AS has so few complaints.

I am encouraged to see that Nick does frequent these other forums, and is quick to respond.

Jerry

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

i installed it on the PC seeing what it can find on my old spyware ridden slave HDD heh heh

3. cheater87

well it found zango/180 solutions on my sis's account

4. desertdad

desertdad Registered Member

Thought I'd provide some feedback from a new user of SAS Pro and SAB. I just installed both of them. I replaced SpySweeper v4.5 and AdsGone v5.3.5. I had gone to SS V5 but had to regress to 4.5 because of a conflict with a program called CookieCrusher. I've used CC for a very long time and like the interface and function. I was satisfied with AdsGone, but decided to go with a package of SAS Pro and SAB. I like both of them and they seem to be doing what they are supposed to. SAB ran great against www.popuptest.com while AdsGone didn't do near as well. SAB runs as a service and has a .exe running as well. On my system SAB service has a working set of 1,628K (from process explorer) and the SAB .exe has a working set of 23,736K. SAS Pro has a working set of 22,636K. I posted a suggestion on the SAS user forum asking for a better way of selecting folders to build a custom scan. It's a little awkward and there are examples of much better approaches in other programs. I like the interface on both, and they seem intuitive. I deselected the antispyware options in SAB because SAS Pro monitors them (plus adds a lot more options than just antispyware scanning). I like the capability in SAS Pro to do a scheduled custom scan. It's a little early to draw many conclusions, but so far (a couple of days), I'll probably make the same move on our two other machines. Hope this helps others with a decision about SAS and SAB.

5. cheater87

I just downloaded it and my comp is clean as a whistle :D

6. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I downloaded the free version back in May and it was one of the few programs that detected the Vundo/Virtumonde/Winfixer trojan program in my system. I used a lot of the familiar online scanners and many of them came up with no detections other than cookie files. The Antivir program would only come up with a prompt window about the trojan only when an active scan was being performed (seems like the file needed to be scanned before the antivirus program would tell you it was bad). The program has been out in the market for a couple of years and doesn't have the wide audience that Spyware Doctor and Spy Sweeper has. It has been updated and been modified based on user comments so the customer support aspects have been very good, in my opinion. I was able to finally eradicate the trojan by the use of the FIXVUNDO program, but the nice user interface and good detection ability of this progam is one which would get my recommendation. Each PC has its own peculiarities and sometimes one program will provide needed help while it becomes "useless" on another system. Based on my own use of my system, the program is worth using (the free version to detect spyware and the paid version to provide real time protection). I also tested the uninstall option of the program and there were no issues from the process on my system. :thumb:

7. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

I posted awhile ago here about the SAS on-demand scanner got stuck in an infinite loop when scanning directories/files with funny Unicode characters in their names. I had submitted a support ticket at the SAS website but had not heard about any solutions. I talked to a friend this morning and found that he had a similar problem with his XP (Traditional Chinese version) PC while my XP was English version. I wonder if there are others here who have similar problems or not.

8. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

No problem here. :)
    Works just fine and does a good job.

Doesn't give conflicts with the apps in my sig. :thumb:

9. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I am not aware of any problems when scanning files with Chinese or Japanese filenames with SAS. The file names were displayed correctly during the scan.

10. desertdad

I posted earlier that I had installed SAS and SAB to replace SpySweeper and AdsGone. I have subsequently gone back to AdsGone. AdsGone does not run as a Service, has a working set of 9,096K (from process explorer) and I find the interface for AdsGone more intuitive (probably because I have been using AdsGone for a long time). I did not see any marked improvement in ads blocking with SAB over AdsGone over time. If you were starting from scratch, SAB may be a valid alternative. I am still very pleased with SAS and intend to use it on one other machine. I have it installed on two machines for both monitoring and on demand scanning and recommend it.

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Hi Lu_chin,
    I had a similar problem using SuperAntispyware back in June. It would stall on one particular file (which contained the trojan program) and would not continue with the scan for hours on end. I finally aborted the program to stop the "infinite loop". I did write to their support forum about this problem and they could not provide a specific answer. I did say that my antivirus program also came up with a pop up window about the trojan file when the antispyware program was stalled on it. The only thing that the company support recommended was to shut down the antivirus program before starting the antispyware scan. I haven't been able to test this option out because I was able to rid my system of the trojan program and would not want to test this method by reinfecting my system. ;)
    I have a relative that surfs to some Asian websites for information. But from what I could tell on the SuperAntispyware stalling on a particular file, none of those files contained Asian characters (the trojan was the ubiquitous VUNDO/VIRTUMONDE/WINFIXER/ETC. adware program).

12. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: I found this is a bit irony; I have been using free version since day one. There was a F.P.(a legitimate app) and I uploaded it to them. Their service policy is to respond within a reasonable time w/ an e-mail. I never got a reply, however, that F.P. IS fixed on the next update. I guess it is a speedy and satisfactory reply to some extent. I just wonder that If I would have posted my concern regarding this F.P. on this forum, I may get a very attentive response from Nick. Just wonder.

13. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

If you submitted the false-positive using our false-positive reporting system, our staff would have automatically analyzed the report and updated our definitions. It is hard to contact each and every person, as most do not provide valid e-mail addresses on the false-positive submissions.

Our policy is to respond within 24-48 hours on any support submitted through our support ticket system, with priority given to our Professional/paid users, here:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/support.html

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com
    http://www.superantispyware.com

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: Thanks, Nick, This will clear up my clouds over this issue. Thanks again for your super service!:thumb:

15. Kennut

Kennut Registered Member

I'm looking for some additional spyware protection and SAS is on my shortlist, in fact I'm trying the pro version at the moment.

Other programs I tried:

Spywaredoctor:
    The SD scans gave me quite a lot of FP's mainly regkeys belonging to legitemate software, and loads of 'known bad sites' in my kids IEfavorites most sites using active-x...even santa's site seems to be in this catagory according to PC-tools.
    Loading time after windows logon normally takes about 60 seconds on my system, with Spyware Doctor it took 3-4 minutes longer. Sometimes system would'nt even load, had to do a hard reset to reload.
    What I liked about SD are the fast full scans > 10 minutes.
    So SD is a nogo for me.

Spy Sweeper:
    Latest version and release, no problems loading the system, no performance problems, scanning times 18 minutes for a full scan..not bad.
    Full scan resulted in two FP's

SAS:
    First impression: not bad at all, uses less mem. and cpu time than the other two. Scanning time for a standard full scan is really slow compared to the fist 2.. about 40 minutes. (they give an explanation for the longer scanning times on their website).
    No FP's with SAS > thats good!
    I can't set the scheduled scan after 12 AM, e.g. there's no PM or 24 hour clock option, maybe something I'm doing wrong or just a little bug?

So Ill be choosing between SAS and SS not sure wich one any suggestions?

16. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

The one you like the most, both are good, Spy Sweeper has a broader real-time protection. I use them both as on-demand scanners.

17. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Once you enable the scheduled scan, there is an AM/PM indicator to the right of the time. Is that not appearing on your system? Can you send me a screen shot to nicks AT superantispyware.com?

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com
    http://www.superantispyware.com

18. Kennut

Kennut Registered Member

@Nick

I've sent you a screenshot...

thx

Kennut

19. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I send one as well, seems we are the only two with this problem :cool:

Gerard

20. desertdad

:) I'm running SAS Pro and don't have any problem with the AM/PM indication on the display.

21. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Am/Pm here 2.... np......way better then webroot's to many conflicts !!! :thumb:

22. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

OK I got it. Changed in Windows the time notation to PM and AM. Now SAS is showing also PM and AM.
    So the problem is: normally I use the 24 hour notation. In SAS its going to 12 and then starts again with 01 instead of 13.

Gerard

23. Kennut

Kennut Registered Member

@gerardwil

Thx your last post really helped me in the right direction.

I solved it a little differently: kept my 24 hour notation in winxp (I'm not a big fan of am/pm quotation).

I added the AM/PM symbol in windows countrysettings (don't know if thats the right name as I have the Dutch version where its called 'landinstellingen').

AM/PM symbol seems to be of by standard, at least in the Dutch version.

problem solved.

In SAS its showing the AM/PM symbol with 12 hour notation now, and in windows I still can enjoy 24 hour notation.

I would even be happier if SAS supported 24 hour notation :D
    But then again its a minor thing, maybe nick can put it on the wishlist ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.