How is OutPost FW now a days?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mercurie, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

OutPost Pro Users,
    I am needing to make some changes and have lifetime license to OutPost Pro, but have not used it in a while. It will be put on "PC 2" in my sig below running XP SP2 behind a router firewall.

I used BOClean for years...:rolleyes: let's just not talk about that right now o.k.
    EDIT: Soon to be gone.

As you can see I have good AV (at least imho), that should cover most malware but offers no spyware protection. I might even want to just update to Premium that is an option.

I am also considering SAS Pro, but my manual scans turn up nothing. So is there a real need for real time protection in this area. Looks like a might fine app. based on my research. :thumb:

If I don't need to spend anymore money right now I would rather not. So my question is, are the plug ins, like active content, malicious attack, and antispyware in this firewall enough. What about memory useage? I also put my machine in Standby mode to save power (see my 24/7 poll ;) ), is that an issue with OutPost?

I know opinions vary but I am asking. By the way this PC is not likely to go to any very risky sites, but now a days mistakes occur when Googling and first thing you know bam! Nailed with a nasty. :ouch:

2. fedore

fedore Registered Member

I used Sygate for a long time, then tried Comodo, Jetico and finally stopped on Outpost, for me its light in using resource, lighter then Comodo, easier to setup then both Jetico and Comodo, it has nice and synoptical UI, only problem I saw with Outpost is that is not compatible with FlashGet Download Manager (it freezes for few seconds while minimized in task bar), but u can put FlashGet on Outpost exception list and then there are no any problems.

Setup for p2p is automatic, it means that u will have high id on emule, utorrent will work without openning any ports in firewall, like u have to do with Comodo.

Outpost has anty spyware and ads blocking plug-Ins, however u can turn them off, if u have another anti spyware tool or love banners and ads :)

Overaly, easy to use, light on resource, firewall that suits my needs and for me curently best firewall.

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Outpost's Active Content filter will counter the vast majority of webpage malware as long as you have set ActiveX, Java and Javascript to Block by default (you will need to create exception entries for sites that need them, but that is a once-off action). With that in place (plus a non-IE browser) you should have little need for an anti-spyware scanner at all.

Two possible issues are the DNS Cache plugin (it blocks long DNS requests by default which can catch out legitimate sites like eBay subdomains) and the Attack Detection plugin (the options under the Ethernet tab may trigger a false positive resulting in loss of connection for some users, notably cable users). Both of these can be disabled though.

Memory usage will vary depending on what you have accessing the network - I'm running a traffic-heavy system (Tor exit node with about 150-200 simultaneous connections) and lots of localhost traffic (Browser->Proxomitron->Privoxy->Tor) so I'm seeing 45-50MB. Most non-filesharers should see less.

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Thanks fedore. I think it is easy to use too, considering all of the abilites it has for an average user like me.

Hi Paranoid :) I was really looking forward to a post from you. I will look into setting it up that way. I loaded it up early this evening. Smooth as silk no problems. I am now using Antivir AV free and Outpost together only, behind a router on that machine. Really with so little security apps. I think resource useage should not be to bad even at the high end of 45 or 50. I need a secure machine but my needs are not complex or anything too taxing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.