how is MBAM PRO as standalone AV ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Syobon, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

Recently I have be reading about MBAM pro and specially in the MRG test it performs very well (btw its just ip blocker or its anti-malware capabilities? not very clear in MRG...) anyway, I'm ditching PrivateFirewall because it sucks in LUA, in fact it not work at all, I'm backing to comodo fw, but since I dislike their AV (resource hog and buggy) I need another AV solution, I have MBAM pro licence but how effective it is as standalone Antivirus along with comodo fw d+? o_O

2. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

MBAM is designed to compliment the AV of your choice and while our detection rates are getting very good we do not currently have plans to become an "all in one" that replaces AV as well.

Keep in mind that we target both research and technology towards where we see AV failures most often. This unequal weighting makes us perfect for our intended purpose but not a perfect replacement for AV.

3. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Uses quite a bit of RAM but does not slow down browsing. It has both a protection mode which uses both file checking against it's database and an IP Blocker mode. Not sure what there database is for the IP Blocker. If you search on YouTube there are several reviews.I haven't seen a review by a large AV tester. To me it is a great compliment for an AV program. Standalone, I don't know. Great compliment to Emsisoft on my machine.

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Syobon, I agree with the other posts... MBAM is a complement to an existing AV, but not a substitute for one. ;)

5. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

It's a hell of an on demand scanner though. I would rather keep it that way.

6. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

not as stanalone Av

i prefer it along with Av as on -demand ..

7. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Its like eating a very tasty ice cream as your staple food. :D :D

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

:D :D :D :thumb:

9. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    It works side by side with no problem in real-time w/ antivirus if you have more cpu power and high ram memory. But I would never use it as a stand alone AV, coz I think it specializes more in detecting and removing things that AV possibly couldn't. ;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  10. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

I dont run this monster knowing it will suck the life of my pc..but I know its very good at detecting stuff that traditional av's tend to miss like rogues and crapware:)

11. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

It seems you both with sweater have had problems with MBAM as you call it monter . What were they ? I have never seen such and I am really interested to see .

12. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

SInce ver 5, it has actually lowered its mem use. When I was using ver 4.5 it was using 75K. Now its down to about 24K. It also feels a lighter. I still wouldn't use it as my main AV though. You could actually use MBAM, geswall and say a light firewall/HIPS, as a nice setup.

13. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

thanks for replies, i'm definitively keeping mbam - ondemand only for now-, using MSE+comodo ;)

14. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

That is indeed a very good choice:)

15. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Use antivirus of your choice (preferably lightweight) and use MBAM to supplement your protection. It is antimalware only, not a full-blown antivirus.

16. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I would have thought that this answer would have sufficed,as its by their lead researcher:-I think he probably knows what he is talking about re his own product!

17. kjdemuth

Yeah I would have to agree. I've seen MBAM find alot of stuff that my AV didn't catch. Of course thats not saying much because I have comodo's AV. Its very good with trojans, rootkits and fake AV's.

18. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Without naming names, I'd stand by MBAM keeping a user safe with the IP blocker and regular scanning rather than some paid AVs around.

All depends on how safe you are and how much common sense you apply with browsing. Using it with a solid firewall, MBAM pro would be fine. Using it with sandboxie, all good. Using it on its own, follow it up with scans from hitman pro, and you're safe with your browsing, all fine too. Great program.

19. kjdemuth

+1
    Now days the majority of malware are fake av's and trojans. Occasionlly you see a few exploits or DNS changers. I had worked on two laptops yesterday and one had 2 rootkits, 3 trojans, DNS changer and your generic scareware and toolbars. After I got rid of the rootkit, MBAM took care of everything else. Of course MBAM did find portions of the TDL3 but only leftovers from hitman pro and TDSS killer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.