How is K9 webfilter?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cheater87, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

2. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I used it years ago and it results very good. Because it basicly works with the Bayesian method, K9 has to 'learn' first, takes some time. But once well configuratet you get results up to 98%. It' is independend regarding the Mailer you use. Give it a try.

Depending which Mailer you use a better solution could be a AntiSpam Plugin. Hope it is not Outlook and Company :)

3. dog

dog Guest

Hi Tommy,

That isn't the spam filter he's asking about ... it's a web proxy from Blue Coat like privoxy/proxomitron.

Steve

4. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

UPS, i was to fast. I associated K9 directly with the spamfilter because i have done a german tutorial for that on my page. Nothing else so came up to my mind as K9<=>Spamfilter. Sorry

5. cheater87

6. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Judging by their support forum, K9 has some problems with Kaspersky product(s). Which is kinda disappointing since I was interested about this. Whether the problem is related to possible web AV component of the KAV version 6 or something only related to KIS is unclear to me.

7. cheater87

i don't have any kap products also would i be able to disable it and uninstall if im done with it?

8. cheater87

download.com really seems to like it

9. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Ive been using it teh last few days as a test before deploying on my kids PCs. So far I really like it, especially the google safe search and the ability to immediately unblock a site with the admin password- currently I have Cybersitter on my kids PCs and whenever I need to unblock a site that I deem ok you have to restart the PC which is a bit tedious.

I also like that it seems good a blocking spyware/malware sites.

I wouldn't recommend it for dial up users as the way it works is that it looks up the sites on a Blue Coat server which I guess can slightly slow your browsing down but with broadband I hardly notice it. The logging is great and easy to view. I also like the audible 'bark' from K9 when a site is blocked which is an optional item.

I haven't tried it with Kaspersky yet but it is working great with Nod32 but my kids PCs have KAV6 so I need to do some more testing. It doesn't seem to like eMule - it crashes eMule after a few minutes - but that doesn't bother me as my kids PCs won't be running any filesharing apps. I do still need to test it with MSN Messenger as my kids use it a lot.

10. cheater87

ill give it a go in a couple days

11. rollers

rollers Registered Member

It is done by the same people that do the parental controls in the zonealarm security suite.
    K9 works just as well and even allows you to restrict time of internet access. I have used this on the kids computer and it only uses 1 meg of ram.
    I find it to be very effective....................and even better..........its free!

12. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

This kinda rules out this app for me then, I am afraid. Too bad, I was looking forward to trying this and then possibly recommending to some folks I know.

13. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Please try it yourself to be sure. I have installed all sorts of software lately so my PC isn't init's 'cleanest' mode at teh moment. It would be interesting to know if someone else experiences the same prob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.