How is Bull Guard doing? Also

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Just curiosity. Also wondering about Bit Defender
    Jerry

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am using BitDefender IS 2013 and it rocks. No problems at all.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks. When I got my first computer it had Norton on it. I used a couple of years and went to BD. After a couple of years of BD it crashed and they wanted me to remove everything except BDAV, even my firewall. In addition they were very rude, and even insulting. They were convinced BD could "do no wrong."

I removed BD and said I would never consider it again. That was probably close to 15 years ago. It is doing well now, and I might consider it if I leave KIS and Avast.

Thanks again,
    Jerry

4. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Hi Jerry.....thanks for creating this thread, these are two AV's that I am seriously interested in hearing what others have to say about them as well.

:thumb:

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi JR,
    You are very welcome. Both are sleepers to me and I am wondering myself for future reference.
    Regards,
    Jerry

6. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

I still have a subscription to BDAV Plus 2013 and it has always run great on my computer. I have used Bitdefender through 6 versions now; 2008-2013. People report it as being buggy but I just haven't seen anything that backs this up.

I wasn't thrilled with Bitdefender when they switched from the 2011 GUI (blue) to the 2012 GUI (black) taking away many advanced user options and adding, "Silent Security". No ask option upon detection has been a turn off. I hope they implement it in the next version but haven't seen it in the 2014 beta.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  7. JRCATES

Charyb......do you have Microsoft Office 2013, by any chance?

I know that Bitdefender AV Plus 2013 is compatible with Office 2010....but there is no mention as to whether or not it is compatible with Office 2013.

I may have to start another thread asking about this....but I just thought if you knew the answer that I would ask you.

Thanks

8. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Sorry, I can't help you with this. I use OpenOffice.

I will see if I can get an answer for you on the BD forum.

edit: I just asked the question and will let you know when/if someone replies.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  9. JRCATES

Thanks so much :thumb:

10. javagreen

javagreen Registered Member

I don't use BDAV Plus, but I do have BD Internet Security 2013 alongwith Office 2013 installed on my PC and I haven't faced ANY problem whatsoever :)

11. JRCATES

Awesome. Thanks for that bit of info. :thumb:

I'm sure if the suite is compatible that the stand alone AV would be as well. My guess is that Bitdefender simply hasn't gotten around to updating their product advertisement to include mention of Office 2013. I was primarily wanting to know if BD would scan Outlook 2013 emails just as it does with the 2010 version. o_O

Charyb.....regarding this....since I've never used Bitdefender before, could you elaborate on this one. Do you mean that it just "deletes" or "cleans" or "quarantines" a file without user interaction.....but that the file can be restored or deleted? Or is this what others have been talking about regarding the "FREE" version and that quarantined files can not be restored?

For example, NOD32 will take what it deems to be the appropriate action without any user action....but the user is still notified and you can still restore or permanently delete a quarantined file. I believe you can even set the program to "delete", "clean" or "quarantine" any suspicious files that it encounters.

12. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I have been running the two recently (BullGuard for the longest) on separate machines.

No trouble with either one and both have very little effect on system performance. Advantage of both compared to some other AVs is that you can always pick up cheap copies.

As stated many times before, try each one and see which one suits your machine.

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Many thanks for all the replies.

Jerry

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

BullGuard has the best, most responsive and considerate support (if you're also civil to them) I have seen from any anti-malware vendor in the last few years. The product is good for the most part, I haven't heard a lot of complaints about BullGuard as a company.

BitDefender is an effective anti-malware product; but there are times I have heard people having issues with it. I'd personally pick BullGuard over BD, but both are pretty good.

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Firecat,
    I have a lot of respect for your assessments.
    Jerry

16. c2d

c2d Registered Member

BullGuard is absolutely brilliant piece of software imo.Using Bullguard Internet Security 2013.Works flawlessly here.It's light and very effective.Web-guard does a fantastic job.Customer support is top notch.I have not changed my AV product in the last 4 months and that speaks volumes :D.

Bitdefender is great too,but it just doesn't work so well as Bullguard on my sistem.
    It's a bit heavier and it slows down my internet speed.Maybe they changed something lately but I have no intentions to change BullGuard.

17. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

There are only three options in on-access scan settings; take proper actions, move files to quarantine, and deny access. There is no prompt for action. I like more control of what is going on, e.g., false positives.

BD did add a method to recover deleted/disinfected files.

Recover Files Disinfected/deleted By Bitdefender 2013
    -http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=38212

I have not used the free version so I cannot comment on it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  18. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

C2d nailed it in posting #16 in this thread. I am very pleased with Bullguard IS and prefer it to BitDefender. :thumb:

19. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I thought I read a post in another thread about Bullguard that there is no notification of an update. If so how do you know it's current?

20. c2d

c2d Registered Member

I've heard that some users have issues with update but there is no update problems here.Notification is present.See the screenshots.

Attached Files:

21. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

As long as Bullguard doesn't slow things down, I don't see why this wouldn't be great to use with the technology that is incorporated into it.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2214245&postcount=345
    I think Bullguard is next on my list.

22. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Does the firewall prompt you for every little thing or is it a more intelligent firewall along the lines of Norton or Kaspersky?

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Does either BG or BD have anything like the Safe Money or SafeZone of KIS and Avast?

I especially like that protection for my lap top if I were to travel, and be forced to use an unprotected Wi-Fi.
    Jerry

24. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

BD does

Attached Files:

25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, bigc.
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.