how ignorant can i get, time will tell

Discussion in 'FileChecker & ID-Blaster Forum' started by Pretender, Sep 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

anyhow, ran into a problem with the alerts options for smtp mail. had an error: "5187-FileChecker 1.6-18971, Run-time error '339':, Component 'MSWINSCK.OCS' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid". so i went to http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/security/fwvirus.shtml and downloaded the file which i placed into my windows/system directory. no error. i use aol for email. my question is what do i put into the "SMPT Server" box? i'm sort of lost on these different types of protocals so don't laught too hard. :oops:

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

UPDATE: I'm rather surprised you did not have that dll - i'll include it in the next installer build, for sure.

That's alright - that's the one missing item - a help area on SMTP alerts.

If you really feel you need them, here is (hopefully) some helpful information (personally, I dont even use them, but you may find it more useful than I do):

Your SMTP server is your e-mail server, i.e. when you go into Outlook/Outlook Express (for example) and you set the program up to access e-mail - that's what you should look for.

HOWEVER you mentioned you use AOL for e-mail...

I hate to tell disappointing news, but AOL has its own proprietary e-mail setup.
    The FileChecker SMTP notification option will not work with AOL e-mail (or web based e-mailers). Sorry :doubt:

-Javacool

3. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

I was sort thinking along the lines that you have now explained. Just so you know as far as the file goes......I did a search and it wasn't on my computer and that's why i had to hunt for it. I have a gateway computer and am using windows ME if that helps any.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.