How I see ISR

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by wilbertnl, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

That sure is a heck of a lot. My own 'My Documents' only has about 53MB of data that is anchored.

2. dallen

dallen Registered Member

wilbertnl,
    I have never sized up my My Documents folder until now. Your comment caused me to check. I have more than the "average" user (if there is such a thing) mainly because I have a lot of photos and 3 very large files that contain every academic related file that I've ever created. Mine is 10 Gb. You have indicated that your is 40 Gb, but that you have multiple users. It would take 4 users with substantially more data than average to create such a huge amount of data. My guess is that you have a lot of music contained within this file. I see no harm in anchoring music, if that is the case. Also, I do not think that the limitation on anchoring is related to the size of the anchored folders, but rather the number. It would be in your best interest to determine what is causing the folders to be so large and then make an educated decision about whether it is smart to anchor them.

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Well, while we're comparing notes, I checked My Documents and it contains 15.1 GB. That contins every photo me and my wife have taken over the last 5 years or so plus enough music to keep me happy while I'm away on business trips.

Oh, that also includes all of my Outlook files going back about 5 years and my Outlook Express files, all of which I moved out to my 2nd hard drive (partition on my laptop) along with the My Docs folder.

Wow, wilbertnl ! I'll toss my guess out there that you've got a few DVD's worth of movies on there.:ninja:

Well, I know exactly what you mean and I respect that. I'm kind of the same and I'm on those kind of new things like a "duck on a junebug" when I'm first introduced to them, then I get settled down. I'm sure you'll end up where YOU need to be.:thumb:

4. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I hope that you've backed up these irreplacable things of value to an external source.

I agree with this statement. The thing to keep in mind is that no one wants to learn the importance of backing up data by losing all of their data. Although, some people I know say that they understand the importance, but simultaneously refuse to take the necessary steps to protect their data. I want others to learn from my mistakes, as I've lost important data and it is no way to learn that particular lesson.

5. crofttk

Absolutely ! Aside from being duplicated on 6 machines, one of which is nearly always away from the house, I have multiple external drives, one of which I keep at work and refresh about once a month, give or take.

6. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I have only a few e-mails. :rolleyes:

No wait, video files can take up a lot of space, 10 minutes can take 1 GB.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hey Crofttk

Your as bad as I am. I back to two external drives on my desktop, duplicate everything on the laptop, and back the laptop up to 1 external drive.

Pete

8. crofttk

I "hear" you. Gigabytes are not too badly priced nowadays for providing some extra data security if you wait on rebate specials and have a modest budget you can spend on them.

But, yeah, I do draw the line at including AJC archives in all of my snapshots.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.