How Host files can i use simultaneously

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TeflonShield, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeflonShield

TeflonShield Registered Member

i want to know if i can use mvps host file with other hosts file.

otherwise can i merge several Hosts fileo_O??

2. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Yes you can use as much as you want, for example mvps, and hphosts and even your own litle textfile containing redirected hosts,
    you can use a tool like HostsMan to combine them all, and filter out the duplicates, and even whitelist hosts you do not want to block.

3. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I use MVPS and hpHosts HOSTS files together with no problems. I use HostsXpert v4.3 to manage/merge the files.

4. softtouch

softtouch Registered Member

There is also a hosts file editor in the software category, which can merge/backup/import/export different hosts files. Its freeware.

5. CreepyKangaroo

CreepyKangaroo Registered Member

I've heard that having a large hosts-file might slow down the system and it can be avoided by disabling the DNS Client!

May be some one else can elaborate on this matter?

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, it's correct. But, it is not needed to disable DNS Client; you may set it to manually start.

I don't know if all systems support it, but, one other way (along side disabling or manually starting DNS Client) would be to use a HOSTS file beginning with 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1.

And, on more way of fastening things, and if not a so huge HOSTS file, would be to, also, optimize the HOSTS file to have a few entries in each line, instead of just one. This will decrease the size of the HOSTS file. For example, a 7 MB HOSTS file would be rezised to something like 3-4 MB.

The guy behind HostsMan developed a tool that does just that. The HostsMan 4 (when it comes out), will do it automatically.

7. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I'd like to see better integration with the HostsServer which could keep track of the hit rate for each entry and automatically prune the list of unused entries. A browser right click function that would allow you to right click on a link/object and add the host to the HOSTS file would be nice too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.